I ###### at funtions

dzhax

I am working on a project and i am trying to clean up my code so i can release it and not have people leach my code.I have the basic functionality down but, when i put the code into a function it returns nothing...The working code:

<?  $curl = curl_init();  curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_rs/viewitem.ws?obj=" . $_GET['obj']);  curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_BINARYTRANSFER, 1);  curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);  curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 3);  curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 6);  $fullge =  curl_exec($curl);  $lines = explode("\n", $fullge);  	$minLine = preg_grep("/Minimum price:<\/b> /", $lines);	foreach ($minLine as $pNum){$pVal = preg_split('/ /', $pNum, -1, PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE);}	$minPrice = $pVal[2][0];		$medLine = preg_grep("/Market price:<\/b> /", $lines);	foreach ($medLine as $pNum){$pVal = preg_split('/ /', $pNum, -1, PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE);}	$medPrice = $pVal[2][0];	$maxLine = preg_grep("/Maximum price:<\/b> /", $lines);	foreach ($maxLine as $pNum){$pVal = preg_split('/ /', $pNum, -1, PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE);}	$maxPrice = $pVal[2][0];		$itemName = $lines[228];?>

now if i wrap this code with function itemInfo($itemId, $info) { } it stops returing any info.basically i want it so i can just call itemInfo(327,maxPrice); and it prints the $maxPrice on the page.this code in the code tags above will be hosted as a seperate file on my server and the page requesting will be on a remote server. So I'm thinking an include of the function page will be needed correct?EDIT:or possibly just itemInfo(); and then call the $maxPrice in the remote code... or will that not work?

It's probably a variable scope issue.If you have a variable set outside the function, you have to use 'global' to access it from within the function.

$a=5;function f(){echo $a;  /* Will cause an error, because $a isn't defined within the function */}function g(){global $a;echo $a;  /* Will be okay and the value will be echoed */}

Also, check the error log or turn error reporting on.

Archived