BB codes

birbal

i am using str_replace for smiley genartor from a stirng. till now it is running well. but the problem is ...it is replacing all the matched string. i want to customize that. i mean only first 2 match or 3 match will be replaced. so is there any way to do this without using preg_replace?and i forgot to ask. what is replacment order gotcha? i am not getting it. can any give a practical example to ilaborate it?thank you!

There is a PHP BBCode module: http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.bbcode.php.
i think thats need extra installation of libary. which i dont have. and most probably my host dont suport it. once i used this function. it was showing undefined function.so i was avoiding this. so i have to do that with preg_replace or str_replace. it will be good if there is a way to do that in str_replace. it is ok with preg_replace but i was finding a way to do it with str_replace as i said above. so need some guide. :)

If you are trying to avoid learning RegEx, I would not recommend that. It is a very useful and powerful tool that you will use many times in the building of any site that accepts user input. The PHP manual has a section devoted to PCRE (Perl-compatible Regular Expressions).

If you are trying to avoid learning RegEx, I would not recommend that. It is a very useful and powerful tool that you will use many times in the building of any site that accepts user input. The PHP manual has a section devoted to PCRE (Perl-compatible Regular Expressions).
no...not so...i am spending time behind regex evryday to be perfect with it. even i am using regex in other tag ...i can do that with regexp for smiley..but in the manual of php.net they are saying that avoid preg_replace() where you can use str_replace(). so i am finding a way to do that with str_replace() where i can limit the number of replace anyhow.

Archived