PHP OOP beginner

Utherr12

Hey, i've just started learning to make objects in php yesterday and wrote this:

class soul{	var $AuraHandler = array(64);	function AddAura($aura)	{		$i = 0;		for($i;$i<=63;$i++)		{			if(isset($this->AuraHandler[$i]))			{				$this->AuraHandler[$i] = $aura;				break;			}			else continue;						}			}}$_soul = new soul();$_soul->name = "Name1";$_soul->AddAura("MECHANIC_IMMUNITY");

I don't know why but it doesn't really work, echoing $_soul->AuraHandler[0] it shows Array[0]

Arrays in PHP don't work like arrays in C++. When you say "array(64)", you're actually creating an array with its first member's value set to the integer "64".You can append to an array by just using the "[]" syntax, like so:

class soul{ var $AuraHandler = array(); function AddAura($aura) {  $this->AuraHandler[] = $aura; }}$_soul = new soul();$_soul->name = "Name1";$_soul->AddAura("MECHANIC_IMMUNITY");

Arrays can always be appended to - they work a little list lists/vectors/maps in C++ - they are dynamic structures that allocate memory automatically when they need it.

So this means my array will have the maximum number of elements?well i wanted to check if the AuraHandler array has something in it, and if it has i want to add another value right after it.How do i navigate from the first element to the second if i just use AuraHandler[] ? why can't i use AuraHandler[0] ?A month ago when i started learning PHP i learned that to create an array with a specific number of elements i can use $v = array(x) for x elements.

The thing is "x" isn't a number of elements in PHP - it's a bunch (or a sequence) of elements. You can have for example:

$v = array(64, 32, 'some string');

If you know the index you're looking for, or which you want to use, you can put it within the "[]". If for example you wanted to place 'some string' at index 0, you can do:

$v[0] = 'some string';

Using "[]" automatically finds the latest free index, and adds up the value there. No need to check up the rest of the elements.

i have

var $AuraHandler = array();			function AddAura($aura)	{		$this->AuraHandler[] = $aura;	}$_soul->AddAura("MECHANIC_IMMUNITY");

And echoed $_soul->AuraHandler[0], it turned Array[0].It doesnt work this way, i had to make another function that returns the Aura like this:

function GetAura($i)	{		return $this->AuraHandler[$i];		}

now it works.

Let me guess, your echo line looks like:

echo "$_soul->AuraHandler[0]";

It should instead look like this:

echo $_soul->AuraHandler[0];

The quotes are only if you're echoing a string literal.

Archived