web hosts

jnf555

hi i am searching around looking at web hosts,can anyone answer me a couple of questions.What would be an ave amount of web space needed for say, about 6 pages.How inportant is it to have a large bandwidth, and what does it do.thanksjnf555

The question is what's on those 6 pages.The markup alone is likely going to be less than 1MB, but the images involved can bulk it up to...well... in theory up to gigabytes, but in practice, it highly depends on what you have.It's a good idea to first have the site, and then determine the right hosting for it, especially if it doesn't contain anything more "special" (images, HTML, CSS and JavaScript and Flash are not special stuff).A bandwidth determines the amout of data that can be trasferred from the server in a certain period. In this topic that lists a lot of hosts, some of which are free (all of which are good for a site with 6 pages up to a certain space and bandwith), and in it, I later described it in a way I think I can't top:

If you look at the host's offers in detail, you'll see the other name for bandwidth is "traffic". So, in other words: bandwidth is the amount of data which the host lets you download.For example, if you have html files and maybe some small graphics with total size of 1MB and you know you have 20 users who browse all of them each day, this means... 20users*1MB*30days=600MB of montly bandwidth. If the host says you have 15MB of bandwidth for a day, this practically makes your pages useless for the last 5 people. I mean, look at the difference for yourself. If you waste your bandwidth, your site becomes inaccesable (turned off if you'd like) until the period (in our case: the day, but it's most often the month) expries.When the bandwidth is unlimited, this means you don't have to calculate how much data would be downloaded. The host will let all users browse the page all the time, scince it doesn't have such restriction.
they browse at the same time ???
It doesn't matter actually. What matters is the amount of data that all of them get from the site. In the example above, it's easier to imagine the things if they browse one by one, but if they were browsing at the same time, this would still cost the same bandwidth, because it's about amount, not time.Example for even easier understanding: imagine you have a big bottle of water (for example). You can put several straws in it, so several people can drink from it, but even if they drink one by one or simultaneously, none of them would be able to drink after the water is out.But what if they were all drinking from the sink? There are no predefined amounts as with the bottle and they can all drink as much as they want to.

Archived