PHP and header-like files

I've been teaching myself C for quite some time and now I'm trying to write a new PHP application, just to catch up a little bit. So I was thinking of actually creating a PHP file containing all the function declarations and definitions and including it in the header.php file, like I'm doing below. Would this be a good idea, or would there be a better way to go about it? Thanks in advance!libirr.php

function irr_title_display();function irr_header_display();/* Some other prototypes */function irr_title_display() {	echo 'Title';}function irr_header_display() {	echo 'Header';}/* The rest of the definitions */

header.php

<?php require_once "libirr.php" ?><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"	"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" >  <head>	<title><?php irr_title_display(); ?></title>  </head>  <body>	<div id="header">		<div id="title">			<h1><?php irr_header_display(); ?></h1>			<h4><?php irr_subheader_display(); ?></h4>		</div>		<div id="login">			<p>Welcome, <strong><?php irr_user_display(); ?></strong>!</p>		</div>		<div id="nav">			<ul>				<li>Item 1</li>				<li>Item 2</li>				<li>Item 3</li>				<li>Item 4</li>				<li>Item 5</li>			</ul>		</div>	</div>

It is certainly possible to get where you want to go.Note that PHP, unlike C, does not require functions to be prototyped before they are defined. You can define a function anywhere you want to.An included file can also contain variable definitions. For example, if the return value of irr_title_display() is always the same (not dynamic) it would be more efficient to define it as a variable, and then your title tag would look something like this:<?php echo $title; ?>That assumes that header.php was included into the global space (not inside a function).

A file that contains all functions is fine, but do one that contains the function implementations, not just prototypes.The reason prototypes exist as separate files in C/C++ is to let a compiled library be embedded into a non compiled code, but there's no such thing in PHP, so you only need the actual implementations.

They are dynamically generated, I have just written a fast example in the code above. So would this be a good practice?

Archived