Translate 1 line of PHP to JS

paulmo

This was written by justsomeguy about 3 years ago and I need it in Javascript. Please just get me started so I can learn something. Like does JS have intval function and ternary statement?

$temp = (intval(date('G')) < 12) ? 'morning' : (intval(date('G')) < 18) ? 'afternoon' : 'evening';

And it needs to go in here, so I get "Sunday morning" etc:

<script type="text/javascript">var now = new Date();var dayNames = new Array("Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday");//var hourTime =new Array??document.write(dayNames[now.getDay()]);</script>

Thanks in advance.

JavaScript has a ternary statement, yes. It also has an equivalent to intval(), called parseInt(), though I don't think you'll need it for this case. You can just use the corresponding method from the date object.

But if you find it cooler, why not use it? Like I said, JavaScript does have a ternary statement... or did you simply now find it (like most people) less readable?

You can always use brackets in the else... it's the same deal, like:

condition ? then : (condition ? then : else)

I was just reading that ternary is slower than if/else...true? Anyhow here is my attempt. How close is it?

time<12 ? document.write(" morning, ") : (time>12 && time<18 ? document.write(" afternoon, ") : document.write(" evening, ");

Archived