checkbox trouble..

astralaaron

Will someone please explain why example 1 works and example 2 doesnt?/////// EXAMPLE 1 /////////////function testing(){ alert(document.pwizreturn.pwztest2.checked);}<input type="checkbox" name="test2" value="2" onclick="testing();" />////////////////////////////////////////// EXAMPLE 2 //////////////////function testing(testElm){ alert(document.pwizreturn.testElm.checked);}<input type="checkbox" name="test2" value="2" onclick="testing('test2');" />/////////////////////////////////////////example 1 will say true or false, and example 2 nothing happens. As if the checkbox doesnt exist...I tried a text input field in example 2 passing the name through as a parameter and it worked fine. I can't seem to figure out why its not working with check boxes.

Because it's taking testElm as a literal property name, instead of interpreting the string. Think about it:

var a = {"b" : "x", "c" : "y"};var b = "c";alert(a.b); // "x"

You can use, uh, array notation instead if you want to use a variable reference.

Ok I understand it's looking for the property name literally. I put the value into a new array and tried that as well and am still getting the same result. I don't think I understand what you mean by using array notation instead... I basically did:var a = new Array(testElm);alert(a[0]); // test2then tried alert(document.formname.a[0].checked);and got the same result, nothing..i'll keep fooling with it but please hint me in if you see my mistake!

There's always a different number of check boxes so they have names that increment like a1, a2, a3 etc.... so I'm trying to pass the name through as a parameter of the function where a few things will happen. Just can't seem to get it to literally look for the name I pass through.

pass this to the function. It will pass a reference to the element itself. From there you should be able to access all properties and values of the element.

Archived