Expanding menu (hierarchy)

GE2009

The title is a might bit confusing, but in essence, I built a pretty cool expanding menu that will "open" when the mouse either hovers over or focuses on the menu item using the respective pseudo classes.The PROBLEM I've run into, is that in IE, the expanding menu extends behind the content section; invariably hiding the remaining menu options whereas in Firefox, the menu options appear in front of the content div just fine without any affect to that div's respective position or position of its content. I'm stuck on this one - is there a hack for this?? How can I get it to render correctly in IE without actually re-arranging the XHTML so that the menus are technically "over" the content area???Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use the CSS z-index property to arbitrarily place certain elements on top of others.

You can use the CSS z-index property to arbitrarily place certain elements on top of others.
Outstanding; I figured it was something simple. I have never had to use that before so I guess it didn't even pop into my head. I suppose it being close to 4am means the brain starts misfiring around that time too. Alright; so what is the range for the property then? xyz { z-index:0-?;}I guess I can find that inside of w3 somewhere too if I look carefully enough...

Outstanding; I figured it was something simple. I have never had to use that before so I guess it didn't even pop into my head. I suppose it being close to 4am means the brain starts misfiring around that time too. Alright; so what is the range for the property then? xyz { z-index:0-?;}I guess I can find that inside of w3 somewhere too if I look carefully enough...
yup. or just do a search.http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_pos_z-index.asp

yeah, I dug around a bit and some some further details on that but thanks for the link. As relieved as I am that it worked like a charm, it's also somewhat vexing that it was such an easy solution. You learn something new everyday though, right? Either way, back to the grind; thanks for the input gentlemen.

Archived