Strange javascript errors...

Zaper Gallis

Not sure whats going on here. Basically I'm using php to generate a table full of colors with "Onclick" commands to trigger a java-script and pass a hex color code threw it as a variable. Everything in the code works, until you try to pass the letters threw, in which case i get several strange errors in my Firefox error counsel, depending on were you click. needless to say, the script doesn't work, and i have no idea what could be wrong. Here's the script:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">	<head>		<title>Color Picker</title>				<script type="text/javascript">						function colorselect(color)			{				document.colorpicker.hexselect.value= color;			}					</script>			</head>		<body>				<form name="colorpicker" id="colorpicker" action="">			<?php				$red= "00";				$green= "00";				$blue= "00";				$code= "000000";			?>						<table style="background-color: #000000;">				<tr>					<th colspan="18" style="background-color: #ffffff;">						Color Selector					</th>				</tr><tr>					<?php while ($blue != stop)						{ ?>							<td><div style="height:15px; width: 15px; background-color: #<?php echo $code; ?>" onclick="colorselect(<?php echo $code; ?>)"></div></td>						<?php 							if ($code== FFFFFF) {$stop= stop;}							if ($red== "00") {$red="33";}							else if ($red== "33") {$red= "66";}							else if ($red== "66") {$red= "99";}							else if ($red== "99") {$red= "cc";}							else if ($red== "cc") {$red= "ff";}							else if ($red== "ff") 							{								$red= "00";								if ($green== "00") {$green= "33";}								else if ($green== "33") {$green= "66";}								else if ($green== "66") {?></tr><tr><?php $green= "99";}								else if ($green== "99") {$green= "cc";}								else if ($green== "cc") {$green= "ff";}								else if ($green== "ff") 								{									?></tr><tr><?php									$green= "00";									if ($blue== "00") {$blue= "33";}									else if ($blue== "33") {$blue= "66";}									else if ($blue== "66") {$blue= "99";}									else if ($blue== "99") {$blue= "cc";}									else if ($blue== "cc") {$blue= "ff";}									else if ($blue== "ff") {$blue= stop;}								}							}														$code = $red . $green . $blue;						} ?>				</tr><tr>					<td colspan="18">						<input type="text" name="hexselect" id="hexselect" />					</td>				<tr>			</table>		</form>			</body>	</html>

and here's the sort of working web page it's on: http://www.webmasterseverything.com/colorpicker.phpFar as i know the PHP part works fine, as it echo's all the data it's supposed to, so I'm pretty sure it's in the java script. You guys have any ideas?On a sub note, i notice hex codes with 0s at the start get removed by the java script, is it possible to make the script keep the 0s?

It's because you are passing in the values as an integer, and some color values include letters. Enclose the function argument in quotes, and it should fix your problem.colorselect("ff0000")

We'd have to see it printed out the other way to know why it didn't work as expected..To clarify what's happening now. Sometimes it works. More often it doesn't. When it works, it is when the value being passed to colorselect is ALL digits. JavaScript is implicitly casting the value to a string, and the string is inserted in your text box. When it doesn't work, it is because (1) the value contains letters, in which case JavaScript doesn't understand it, or (2) it begins with letters, in which case JavaScript thinks it is an undefined variable.This change should work:onclick="colorselect('<?php echo $code; ?>')"Notice the additional single quotes surrounding the PHP tags.

Archived