Want To Setup Home Server

MrFish

I'm familiar with several web languages but I've never setup my own server. I'm reading a book and Apache and have already setup a a mini server on my computer (for learning purposes). But I plan on investing in one server computer to start but I'm not sure what I'm going to need or what is sufficient.There is an online game that has recently gone beta but the original game makers don't actually host any game. Users download the game, download the free server software, and run it from either their computer or there own server. Having you own server just for a video game is expensive and not practical. So I think it's a good idea to setup a server that offers cheap monthly service to these server runners. Seems like a good idea to me. I'm currently unsure what I'm going to need. I can get a server and set it up with all the right equipment but I obviously don't want to be running it on my 1.5mb/s connection. I'm thinking I should start out with at least 20mb/s. I've got some general questions about servers though:1. How much should a 20mb/s connection cost?2. What are/is the best ISP(s) to use?3. Will I need to have a second router and cable for a server?Thanks for our help :)

1.2./Depend on where you live. You'll have to research all offers from all hosts in your area.3. It's best you don't have even one router. If you're going to use a router or a load balancer, at least make sure it's not a home one.Keep in mind that whatever connection you choose, you should strive for it to have a greather upload speed than download. After all, when you serve content, you're essentially uploading it to the clients. Many ISPs don't reveal their upload speeds (because they severely limit them to be able to compensate for higher download traffic), and those that do will usually claim it's symmetric even if in truth it's half.

I thought a router was used to transfer data to the ISP (download AND upload). I'm a little ignorant on the whole thing so what should I be using?

The cost of bandwidth varies greatly depending on where you live - for example, in Melbourne, you can't even get 20 Mb/s for the most part :). Since you are hosting some pretty bandwidth-intensive servers for commercial purposes, you will probably want to sign up for a business connection with your ISP, as these generally are faster, and have better upload speeds and less restrictions (technical and contractual). The modem is the device responsible for translating the WAN signal, which may be ADSL, cable, or otherwise, into the Ethernet protocol probably used on your LAN. A router is usually used to implement network address translation (NAT) from the WAN address into local ones (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24). You will need a router unless you are only going to have one device, as NAT allows you to have multiple IP devices on your network that all map to a single external IP address. However, you will still need a switch after the router to actually split up the signal.

Archived