Alternative to nl2br

Fmdpa

I'm trying to make do everything "properly" on my website. That, in my understanding, would exclude <br /> tags. Currently, my BBcode function uses the nl2br() function. How could I automatically convert paragraphs to block-level elements, instead?

<p> tags? or BBC code paragraph? <p> tags are block level elements. can it be put into a p tag? or if not, in some HTML element that you can add a class to?

That's one of the cases where user behaviour is vital to keep in mind... there is actually a paragraph separator character, but as you may have guessed, no one uses it (heck, I know about it, and I've never used it).Having <br /> is OK as long as the idea is to separate two lines. If the idea is to separate paragraphs, it's best that you look at the number of new lines. Two newlines means a new paragraph. And here it gets tricky... what about three and more new lines? Should you create a new paragraph? If you're as purist as trying to turn <br /> into <p>, then having an empty <p></p> is just as bad. Truncate all new lines into a new paragraph? What if the user intended to have a large space between his/her paragraphs? If you translate those new lines into margins of the paragraph, then OK, but that's not exactly trivial (though doable non the less).

Archived