Is PHP the right language for this simple web app?

Guest stephen1215

Guest stephen1215

I need to create a simple web app, but I'm not sure what programming language I need to learn to create it. Here's what I'm trying to do:I'll have a list of names. I assume this would live in a SQL database. There will be an html page with a button on it. Each time the button is pressed, the next name in the list is displayed on the page. Only one name will be shown at a time. The html page needs to be saved each time the button is pressed so that no matter who accesses the page, the same name is displayed. The names will loop, so once the last name in the database is shown, the button press will call the first name in the database.Is PHP and SQL the right/best languages to build this?

Yes, though any server scripting language (ASP.NET, ColdFusion, JSP, Perl) will also do, and a database is not required (though it can be used too).

The html page needs to be saved each time the button is pressed . . .
Since you're in the database anyway, it might be easier to to update a field in your table that indicates which name was most recently displayed. A simple timestamp would do it.

Archived