New programming language!

Twango

Yep, I'm developing my OWN programming language, called ASML (AppAttack [My business...] Simple Markup Language).It's really, really simple.AND it gives you the output HTML!Since it IS just starting... it only has a few tags. Mess around and see what you can find.Also, request some tags to be added.Basically, say you want to make ASML text underlined, the tag would be *u* (seem familiar?) and to end it, simple add a # key after the first asterisk(end tag would be *#u*) also, to end any font identifiers (*red*, *blue* etc.) type *#ef* which is the end font.Check it out at http://appattacknetwork.com/asml.php

Yep, I'm developing my OWN programming language, called ASML (AppAttack [My business...] Simple Markup Language).It's really, really simple.AND it gives you the output HTML!Since it IS just starting... it only has a few tags. Mess around and see what you can find.Also, request some tags to be added.Basically, say you want to make ASML text underlined, the tag would be *u* (seem familiar?) and to end it, simple add a # key after the first asterisk(end tag would be *#u*) also, to end any font identifiers (*red*, *blue* etc.) type *#ef* which is the end font.Check it out at http://appattacknetwork.com/asml.php
HelloFirst I would like to say that it is very impressive and if it's good I will keep an eye on this new language :)

I'm confused. Why are you trying to integrate (inline) styles back into the markup?
Eh I dunno.I know lots of people that say html is too confusing for them.So I thought that instead of typing <P style="text-color:red">text here</P> it would be easier for them to just type "*red*text here *#ef*"Anways.

I'm not saying the shorthand method is a bad idea, but it is the output, which falls back to old school, bad practices markup output. Styles within tags, which is what CSS was created for, was intended to move all the styles to a central source with the intent of providing a better way to change and manage those styles. Maybe if it was somehow dynamic, but if you want to change all the red text to a different color, you still have change them all in the markup, as opposed to a one wordchange in the stylesheet.

The reason people find HTML too confusing is because they find the very concept of it confusing. Replacing "<" with "*" won't change that, the same way BBCode hasn't actually changed that by replacing "<" with "["... and I can tell you that from first hand experience - I've had to assist my mom quite a few times with BBCode before she got it. Anyone who can handle BBCode or your current version of ASML is also capable enough of using HTML.For those who can't handle it, the only thing you can do is a WYSIWYG editor.

Boen_robot made a good point above. First off, the HTML generated by ASML is not standards compliant (as thescientist mentioned). As indicated on this page, the <font> tag is deprecated. If you would like to allow the user to enter any color, then it would be best to use inline styles and <span> tags. <span style="color:{color here}">{text}</span> Also, the <font> tag is unclosed. There is really no way to tell when you want the formatting to end unless you wrap it in tags (or use a newline character as an ending delimiter, which would be inconvenient). At that point, you're just going back to the HTML syntax...

Archived