OPINIONS NEEDED: The best way to include everybody..

cpugeek

Wide-spread login systems  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which external login system is the most popular?

• OpenID
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Flickr
    • Google
    • Other [Please list]

I'm curious about everyone's opinions on using other login system (e.g. facebook, twitter, google, etc..). First of all if I was to choose JUST ONE to integrate, which would be the "best"? What about OpenID? Would it be better to integrate that, or a social media website's login system? I'm posting this for opinions, opinions, opinions! So please throw in your 2 cents on the issue!

So please throw in your 2 cents on the issue!
Taking a vote is no way to gain insight about which system is the best. It will only tell you which system is the most popular. Is your goal to be like everyone else? Or, is your goal to find the system that is best for you?Roddy

I understand, the poll is for popularity to see which option is more popular [should've chosen better words]. The thread itself is to gain opinions as far as what works better for what. I'm aiming towards building the website into a large site which would handle many users. Popularity is important as far as which one more people would be able [or willing or likely] to use. I'm also inquiring which is easier / more robust / more secure? Does that make more sense?

I, for one, feel that using social media as a portal for a project is a bad idea. Social media is getting rather large, and it's purpose is very broad. If your site is geared towards a certain task, hooking it up to a social media log in really just makes it so anyone with an account on said system can log in. That includes bots. Furthermore, Facebook, for example, has been known for apps hi-jacking and posting wall updates and even IMing people's friends and family via their accounts. Tying your site to a system who hasn't been able to readily secure itself from attacks like that (I know, it's tough to prevent when you allow third parties to post programs on your site) doesn't seem like a good idea to me.I (obviously) have qualms with the structure of social media in general. Serious damage can be done (such as this new "Facebook bullying" depression thing that is now being recognized medically) and everyone just throws the blame at everyone else. No one can effectively be held accountable, because of the vast amounts of participants and opinions over who should be responsible for stopping these problems. I, myself, would not want to tie my site very closely with any of that.

Archived