Installing Firefox addon Manually

SandySynaptik

Information about this mission :Software installed: Firefox 4, XAMPPYou might think that this is totally a Firefox problem and I should go to Firefox help forums but.......I have a firefox addon named example.xpi(as an example) I tried opening that by firefox but it says that "*extension name* could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 4", which was compatible before I formatted my PC :) Now next I tried to store that example.xpi file on the localhost server (using XAMPP), but when I click on the link then firefox tries to save that file instead of installing it.At this point I came to know that addons.mozilla.org uses ?src=addondetail at the last of the URI for example "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/__example__/example.xpi?src=addondetail"How do I create this ?src=addondetail?? I think it's not so simple because when I simple added this [e.g. http://localhost/example.xpi?src=addondetail] then there was the same result as it was second time..

but when I click on the link then firefox tries to save that file instead of installing it.
probably you need to set some sort of header to recognise it as it has to be isntalled rather than download. check for the docs of mozilla what is the mime type of the addomns should fix this issue.

Hey I found the MIME type of the mozilla addons, its application/x-xpinstall but how to make it install in firefox?? Where to put this application/x-xpinstall?

Hey guys, I have tried that link, nothing worked. when I'm refreshing the page after that (applying what said on that page), there is still same thing happening. Please help...

Here is the code I tried :

<?phpheader('Content-type: application/x-xpinstall');header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="example.xpi"');readfile('example.xpi');?>

header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="example.xpi"');
Removeing it should fix it. it is forcing to download prompt

Archived