Is using absolute positioning bad?

Yamcha

Hi Guys,I'm quite new to xhtml/css, and I was wondering if using absolute positioning is bad? if so why and what other methods do you guys use to position headers, navigation etc..I've actually coded some of my own work and it was relatively easy using absolute positioning.. Appreciate your feedback :]

Absolute positioning isn't wrong, but it usually means that everything has to be positioned absolutely to match. The minute you want to change anything in your page, almost everything else has to be changed also. So it becomes more work in the long run. You also have cheated yourself out of a skillset you might need on a later project.Serious developers don't use it outside extremely specialized circumstances.

Absolute positioning isn't wrong, but it usually means that everything has to be positioned absolutely to match. The minute you want to change anything in your page, almost everything else has to be changed also. So it becomes more work in the long run. You also have cheated yourself out of a skillset you might need on a later project.Serious developers don't use it outside extremely specialized circumstances.
Thanks for quick reply :], what would be an alternative for positioning div tags?

You have a few things to learn, so try not to get frustrated. Position elements using a combination of these rules, usually not all at the same time:display (usually block or inline)floatclearmarginwidthheight (typically this is left to work automatically)Most of the time, think from left to right, top to bottom.

Archived