Order of Declarations

mr_mars2011

Just a quick question I can't seem to find the answer to.I was wondering if there's a specific order that declarations should appear.For Example

div{	  width: 200px;	  font-family: Arial, "MS Trebuchet", sans-serif;	  border-bottom: 2px dotted #000;	  border: 1px solid #999;	  color: red;	  height:200px;}

Does it matter that width comes first then font-family then border? I know there are issues with specificity: border-bottom won't be applied because border will overide it. But does it matter that I have width at the top and height at the bottom? I'm guessing it's a good idea to keep related properties together or use shorthand where possible.Can't help feeling that with the amount of time I've been learning CSS I should probably know the answer to this.

Does it matter that width comes first then font-family then border?No.I know there are issues with specificity: border-bottom won't be applied because border will overide it.Correct.But does it matter that I have width at the top and height at the bottom?No.I'm guessing it's a good idea to keep related properties together . . .As a matter of developer sanity, correct. E.g., I like to keep all dimension rules together (height, width), all edge-treatment rules together (margin, padding, borders, shadows), and so on.. . . or use shorthand where possible.Maybe. Some shorthand properties must come in a precise sequence and are not always intuitive. (E.g., the font-size/line-height properties of the font rule.) If you write CSS often enough that you instinctively know those sequences, this can be a useful idea. If not, shorthand can lead to enough confusion and consultation of manuals that it's more hassle than convenience.

Thanks for the updated reply. I new I was along the right lines just needed some reassurance. The info on shorthand properties was useful. Thinking about it I really only use shorthand properties on padding, margin and borders.

Archived