how to make a web page compatible with all browsers?

plachance

Hi, Im having some troubles with my pages when displayed in some browsers and i want to know what would be the best way to make pages that are compatible to all browsers using CSS?Also im looking for browser specific css tags list for at least major browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari and Opera)... example -moz-border-radius-... and others like that. There should be a website somewhere that lists them all.thanks

well, with a prefix like moz, you can be certain that it's not going to work in anything but Firefox. The best way to ensure compatibility across all browsers is to use a Strict DTD and use CSS properties that are part of the spec, not proprietary ones. The tutorials here will cover all the ones that are recognized in all browsers, with a few noticeable exceptions, usually for something like IE6. If you could be more specific about the problems you are having, perhaps we can help you more.It should be noted that a lot more browsers are supporting CSS3 properties, with border-radius being one of them. So you can count on certain one's recognizing that for now until the others catch up, which shouldn't be too long. Also, a well thought out HTML document making proper use of the box model (instead of tables/positioning) will go a long way to getting the look you want across all browsers as well.

the reason why im looking vendor specific is to include them all in the css along with the standard... one example is with opacity. Opacity is available in browsers and in IE9... IE 8 and before use filter. So a way i found to make it in all browsers is to put this in css opacity: 0.5; filter: alpha(opacity=50); /* Internet Explorer 8 and before */So if i put -o-, -moz-, -ie-, -webkit- and standard tags it should work on all those browsers i think. Tell me if im wrong but if i doselector { standard: value; -o-property: value; -moz-property: value; -ie-property: value; -webkit-property: value;}that property should work in major browsers? I wanted to test this.

I don't know about a single list. If one exists, it needs to be updated a lot, because browsers tend to switch from their proprietary technique to the standard technique seemingly at random. Best advice: if you use a standard rule that doesn't work in all browsers, Google it.

Archived