array_count_values in mysql

ProblemHelpPlease

I have a database with a potentially large amount of entries (1 field per row of VARCHAR 200). I am current pulling the data out and using array_count_values on the data to achieve the result I require. Is it better (faster and more effecient) and indeed possible to perform something similar to array_count_values from within the mysql code before pulling the data out, rather than creating a very large array and using array_count_values.

I have a database with a potentially large amount of entries (1 field per row of VARCHAR 200). I am current pulling the data out and using array_count_values on the data to achieve the result I require. Is it better (faster and more effecient) and indeed possible to perform something similar to array_count_values from within the mysql code before pulling the data out, rather than creating a very large array and using array_count_values.
I can share two options with you:1. mysql_num_rows($query);2. mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) AS totalrows, * FROM table WHERE column='value' ORDER BY column ASC");Can't say much about speed difference but second one is said to be faster but I only manage to fetch on row out of plenty when I use it...first one only works in php

The end result I am trying to achieve is the same as printing the array when array_count_values has been applied to it.A bit likething1 - 50thing2 - 47thing3 - 6
mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) AS totalrecords, column FROM table GROUP BY column ORDER BY column DESC");OUTPUT:array("totalrecords" => "50", "column" => "thing1");array("totalrecords" => "47", "column" => "thing2");array("totalrecords" => "6", "column" => "thing3");

Archived