The JS Array parameters

brucemand

from the w3schools tutorial;

var myCars=new Array(); // regular array (add an optional integermyCars[0]="Saab";	   // argument to control array's size)myCars[1]="Volvo";myCars[2]="BMW";

there's a mention of optional integer to control the size.how would one use this ?i imagine it could be for error-trapping if you loop beyond the end of an array ?(since JS doesn't have the foreach() in PHP, but then there's always the array.length property , right ?)

Passing a length creates that many dummy elements, and, as you said, establishes the length of the array before it has actual content. I've never found a use for this (though I suppose one is possible). In fact, I never use the new Array() constructor at all any more. JSON notation does the same job:var arr = [];

Passing a length creates that many dummy elements, and, as you said, establishes the length of the array before it has actual content. I've never found a use for this (though I suppose one is possible). In fact, I never use the new Array() constructor at all any more. JSON notation does the same job:var arr = [];
yes, just for completions' sake, the other two ways possible from w3schools are;
2:var myCars=new Array("Saab","Volvo","BMW"); // condensed array3:var myCars=["Saab","Volvo","BMW"]; // literal array

i suppose it's a hold-over from the "old skool" days when an array's length had to be defined at declaration.

Archived