Initializing Form Radio Checked Based on Variable

OtagoHarbour

I have a set of radio buttons in a form and would like to initialize which button is checked based upon a session variable. The code I tried was as follows.

<table border="1">	<tr>	<th align="center" colspan="2" style="background:orange">Look Up Table</th>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="GREY" value="GREY" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" 		checked='<?php echo ($_SESSION['LUT']=="GREY") ?>'/>Gray</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="HOS" value="HOS" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Heated Object</td>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="RAINBOW" value="RAINBOW" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Rainbow</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="ARCTIC" value="ARCTIC" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Arctic</td><table>

But the "Gray" button is checked despite the fact that $_SESSION['LUT']!="GREY".Another approach would be to use a DOM function as shown here http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/prop_radio_checked.asp. However this example calls the check() and uncheck() functions based upon an event. There does not appear to be an initialize event for tables. Does <table> have an option for calling an initialization function?Many thanks in advance for any help,Peter.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish with that line per se, but the checked property requires a true/false value.http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/prop_checkbox_checked.aspA more practical application of this functionality would be to do something like this; which is to usually do all your PHP work at the beginning of the document; i.e. do calculations, set flags, etc and then use the resulting variables simply throughout the rest of the page. so, something like this:page.php

<?php  $lutCheckedStatus = false;    if($_SESSION['LUT'] == "GREY"){	$lutCheckedStatus = true;  };?><table border="1">	<tr>	<th align="center" colspan="2" style="background:orange">Look Up Table</th>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="GREY" value="GREY" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" 		checked='<?php echo $lutCheckedStatus ?>'/>Gray</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="HOS" value="HOS" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Heated Object</td>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="RAINBOW" value="RAINBOW" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Rainbow</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="ARCTIC" value="ARCTIC" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Arctic</td><table>

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish with that line per se, but the checked property requires a true/false value.http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/prop_checkbox_checked.aspA more practical application of this functionality would be to do something like this; which is to usually do all your PHP work at the beginning of the document; i.e. do calculations, set flags, etc and then use the resulting variables simply throughout the rest of the page. so, something like this:page.php
<?php  $lutCheckedStatus = false;    if($_SESSION['LUT'] == "GREY"){	$lutCheckedStatus = true;  };?><table border="1">	<tr>	<th align="center" colspan="2" style="background:orange">Look Up Table</th>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="GREY" value="GREY" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" 		checked='<?php echo $lutCheckedStatus ?>'/>Gray</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="HOS" value="HOS" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Heated Object</td>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="RAINBOW" value="RAINBOW" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Rainbow</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="ARCTIC" value="ARCTIC" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" />Arctic</td><table>

Thank you for your help. I ended up taking that general approach but I found that the last radio button that had checked in it was checked even if I set checked=false. However I found that this works.
<?php   	$greyLUT=($_SESSION['LUT']=='GREY')? "checked" : " ";   	$hosLUT=($_SESSION['LUT']=='HOS')? "checked" : " ";   	$raindowLUT=($_SESSION['LUT']=='RAINBOW')? "checked" : " ";   	$arcticLUT=($_SESSION['LUT']=='ARCTIC')? "checked" : " ";   	$fireLUT=($_SESSION['LUT']=='FIRE')? "checked" : " ";?><table border="1">	<tr>	<th align="center" colspan="2" style="background:orange">Look Up Table</th>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="GREY" value="GREY" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" 		<?php echo $greyLUT ?>/>Gray</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="HOS" value="HOS" onclick="EnableNonlinear()" 		<?php echo $hosLUT ?>/>Heated Object</td>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="RAINBOW" value="RAINBOW" onclick="EnableNonlinear()"  		<?php echo $raindowLUT ?>/>Rainbow</td>	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="ARCTIC" value="ARCTIC" onclick="EnableNonlinear()"  		<?php echo $arcticLUT ?>/>Arctic</td>	</tr>	<tr align="left">	<td><input type="radio" name="LUT" id="FIRE" value="FIRE" onclick="EnableNonlinear()"   		<?php echo $fireLUT ?>/>Fire</td></table>

Thanks again for your help,Peter.

my bad. it is correct that the HTML syntax should be

checked="checked"

however, for dealing with JS/HTML DOM directly, it should be true/false.

my bad. it is correct that the HTML syntax should be
checked="checked"

however, for dealing with JS/HTML DOM directly, it should be true/false.

I was thinking of using DOM but it seems that the associated functions are event driven. I could not see where to call a function to initialize the table.Thanks,Peter.

nope, you have it right. I live in the JS/DOM world so much I forget the simpler things sometimes :)

Archived