JS: Conditional Operator

tinfanide

<html><head><title>JS: Conditional Operator (?:)</title><script>indow.onload = function(){window.input = document.getElementById("input");window.txtarea = document.getElementById("txtarea");}var x;var y;function test(){x = document.getElementById("input").value;/*y = (x == "my mum is a female.") ? "Correct! You know which gender your mum is. Good child!" : "Urgh!!! Stupid cow! Don't ya know your mum is a female???";*/if(x == ""){	txtarea.innerHTML = "";	}else if(x == "xxx"){	txtarea.innerHTML = "GOOD!";	}else {txtarea.innerHTML = "wrong!"}/*txtarea.innerHTML = y;*/}/*var x = 1;(x == 1) ? y = 1 : y = 2;document.write(y); */</script></head><body><b>Which gender is your mum?</b><br /><span>Please type your answers in the textbox below with good grammar.</span><br /><input name="name" id="input" type="text" value="" onclick="test()" /><br /><textarea id="txtarea" style="width: 300px;">This is the answer.</textarea></body></html>

I wonder if I can do something like this:

var = (condition: func) ? x : y;

Can I use a function in the condition?Cos I wanna have three conditions in the condition operator as in the if else if else statement I wrote above.

The best way is to try it...I guess you can, but you need use return..
Thanks for reminding me of trying them out. I searched an article that taught multi possibilities of conditional operator and did something like this (tested):
x = document.getElementById("input").value;y = (x == "my mum is a female.") ? "Correct! You know which gender your mum is. Good child!" : (x == "") ? "Don't leave it blank, please!" : "Urgh!!! Stupid cow! Don't ya know your mum is a female??? Or ya needa re-take ya grammar course. Back to school!";txtarea.innerHTML = y;

The rule's:var2 = (condition 1: var 1...) ? " " : (condition 2) ? " " : " ";

The most important reason for choosing the conditional operator or an if-else structure is readability. Embedding long strings in a conditional really spoils that. When it's a nested conditional, it's even worse. You're going to look at that in a month and wonder how it works.If you really, really want to use a conditional operator, I suggest assigning each string to a variable at the top of your function. Use the variables in your conditional.

The most important reason for choosing the conditional operator or an if-else structure is readability. Embedding long strings in a conditional really spoils that. When it's a nested conditional, it's even worse. You're going to look at that in a month and wonder how it works.If you really, really want to use a conditional operator, I suggest assigning each string to a variable at the top of your function. Use the variables in your conditional.
That' exactly what I thought shortly after I'd posted this question.

Archived