Dynamically Adding More Form Fields

hybrid kill3r

I am creating an image uploading system using PHP and MySQL. I want the user to be able to upload more than one image at a time. So the system I want is that once the user chooses a photo, he can then decide to add an additional photo by clicking a submit button to add another file input field. I found a script online and it works, but there's only one problem. When it adds the extra field, it duplicates the value of the first field. How would I manipulate this so that the button adds another file input but with no value while still maintaining the value(s) of the previously added files?

function moreFields() {	counter++;	var newFields = document.getElementById('readroot').cloneNode(true);	newFields.id = '';	newFields.style.display = 'block';	var newField = newFields.childNodes;	for (var i=0;i<newField.length;i++) {		var theName = newField[i].name		if (theName)			newField[i].name = theName + counter;	}	var insertHere = document.getElementById('writeroot');	insertHere.parentNode.insertBefore(newFields,insertHere);}

You can almost do what Haris S suggests right in your for loop. You'll just want a simple test so you don't wipe out the value of any other elements you're looping through. This should do it:

if (newField[i].type && newField[i].type == "file") {	newField[i].value = "";}

What browser? I didn't test it everywhere, but it works on Firefox. The new file input comes up blank.How much stuff are you cloning, anyway? Would it be simpler just to create new elements?

Archived