how to adjust page to monitor size

darkautumn

I made a webpage about two years ago using css and now that I have a huge monitor, I realize all my information, which are in div are floating all over the place. How do I make them stay put depending on the monitor size?I am a little new at this. I usually use dreaveweaver and tables.Sheri

A container works nicely, but you should consider using a fluid design as well if you haven't already done so. This can be done by using percentages as opposed to absolute values such as pixels to define your positioning.

A container works nicely, but you should consider using a fluid design as well if you haven't already done so. This can be done by using percentages as opposed to absolute values such as pixels to define your positioning.
Hmmm. I understand the fluid design part. But I don't understand about the container. Do you mean like put it in a table?Sheri

Dear no.Create a div that holds all or most of your page content. 980px is a good width, as it will display correctly for the 50% or so users in the world who still use a 1024px-wide display. Center the div. Arrange all the content so it fits attractively in that space.That's the basic idea.Some authors put headers and footers outside the container so they can fill the whole display width. It's tempting to get very creative with all the empty body background outside the container. Don't. Keep it plain or subtle; otherwise, users with big displays will hate you. Sometimes a box shadow around the container looks very nice.This strategy is actually very common and will remain so for at least 5 years, I think.

Dear no.Create a div that holds all or most of your page content. 980px is a good width, as it will display correctly for the 50% or so users in the world who still use a 1024px-wide display. Center the div. Arrange all the content so it fits attractively in that space.That's the basic idea.Some authors put headers and footers outside the container so they can fill the whole display width. It's tempting to get very creative with all the empty body background outside the container. Don't. Keep it plain or subtle; otherwise, users with big displays will hate you. Sometimes a box shadow around the container looks very nice.This strategy is actually very common and will remain so for at least 5 years, I think.
Thanks so much guys, this helps tremendously.

Archived