Dynamic Dropdown Menus

pbrandy22

Hi everyone, I've read through a bunch of posts for Dynamic Dropdown Menus on this site, as well as others, and I can't figure out why my code won't work. I have two dropdown boxes that need to be populated with data from a mysql table; one menu for route types, and one for route numbers. When I choose the route from the 'Route' menu, the 'Number' menu automatically populates with all of the possible numbers, rather than only those that correspond with the route type. I can tell that the problem has something to do with the value of 'Route' not being recognized, but I don't know why. I'm a beginner when it comes to PHP, so any suggestions or help would be much appreciated! My webpage is http://nchrp923b.lab...u/MileQuery.php, and the code is as follows:

<html><body><basefont face='calibri' color='#7E2217'><?php// set variables$mileTable = $_GET['mileTable'];$routeType = isset($_POST['Roadtype'])? $_POST['Roadtype']: 0;include 'opendbMile.php';include 'error.php';    // Connect to the MySQL DBMS   if (!($connection = @ mysql_connect($hostName,									   $username,									   $password)))	  die("Could not connect");   if (!mysql_select_db($databaseName, $connection))	 showerror(  );    // Start a query...    $query = "SELECT ID,					 Roadtype			  FROM Alabama			  GROUP BY Roadtype";    // execute the SQL statement    $result = mysql_query($query, $connection) or die(mysql_error());echo '<form name="mileform" method="post" action="MileQuery.php">';echo '<p>Route:<select name="routeType" id="routeType" onchange="this.form.submit();"><option value="0"'.($routeType == 0? ' SELECTED': '').'>Route</option>';while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){    echo '	    <option value="'.$row[0].'"'.(($routeType == $row[0])? ' SELECTED': '').'>'.$row[1].'</option>';}    echo '    </select></p>';// create the SQL statement$query2 = "SELECT ID,	  Roadnumber		   FROM Alabama		   GROUP BY Roadnumber";	 if($mnucategory != 0){    // Filter road numbers    $query2 .= " WHERE Roadtype='".$routeType."'";    }// execute the SQL statement$result2 = mysql_query($query2, $connection) or die(mysql_error());echo '<p>Number:    <select name="routeNumber" id="routeNumber" onchange="this.form.submit();">	    <option value="0"'.($routeNumber == 0? ' SELECTED': '').'>Number</option>';while($row2 = mysql_fetch_array($result2)){    echo '	    <option value="', $row2[0].'"'.(($routeNumber == $row2[0])? ' SELECTED': '').'>'. $row2[1], '</option>';}    echo '    </select></p>'; // Close the DBMS connection   mysql_close($connection);?></form></body></html>

Archived