iwato

GREETING: :) I have been absent for a very long time and see many new faces. Then too, I see many old faces as well and hope that I am still welcome. For a while i thought that I would never make it back, so I am happy to be with you all again -- especially, in the new work environment that you have provided. BACKGROUND: When I left more than a month ago, I decided to dump MAMP Pro, because it was prohibiting me from adding PHP extensions to my webserver. Since then, I have upgraded one of my machines to Mac 10.7.2 (Lion) and would like to start afresh with a new webserver and several virtual accounts on this machine. Question ONE: Is MAMP on LION the best way to go, or should I partition my volume and use pure UNIX? Question TWO: What are some good online resources that could guide me in either of these two directions. Question THREE: Is it worth using an IDE? If so, which one would you recommend for a MAMP environment? Eventually I want to set up the ZEND engine. Roddy

There is no such thing as "pure UNIX" anymore — OS X is technically just as much a Unix operating system as all the other Unix operating systems out there (e.g., Solaris), as they all conform to the POSIX standard. However, you may find some of the features of some other Unix-like operating systems (i.e. Linux) useful, such as inbuilt LAMP stacks (in some distros). You can also install all the components from said stack manually instead of using the MAMP package.

There's always XAMPP... just sayin'.But yeah, if you're up for some adventure, you might as well build the stack manually. All UNIX docs you can find apply.And if you have enough spare time on your hands, you could even try nginx.

There is no such thing as "pure UNIX" anymore — OS X is technically just as much a Unix operating system as all the other Unix operating systems out there (e.g., Solaris), as they all conform to the POSIX standard. However, you may find some of the features of some other Unix-like operating systems (i.e. Linux) useful, such as inbuilt LAMP stacks (in some distros). You can also install all the components from said stack manually instead of using the MAMP package.
OK. So, what is the advantage of building a stack manually?Also, are you saying that you cannot do so using the MAMP package? Roddy :)

There's always XAMPP... just sayin'. But yeah, if you're up for some adventure, you might as well build the stack manually. All UNIX docs you can find apply. And if you have enough spare time on your hands, you could even try nginx.
Hi, boen_robot! I am happy to see that you are still with W3Schools.This said, I am truly not interested in a lot of adventure. I have just lost a lot of time during my move from Thailand to Saudi Arabia and do not have a lot of free time in my current position. Moreover, Apple Computer has told me that my website and all other MobileMe websites will be destroyed next year, and there is a global revolution that has already started and I want dearly to support. So, no, I am not interested in adventure at this time. I would like to stay with MAMP and the Apple operating environment, as I am already familiar with them. Still, I do not want these to get in the way of my development as have MAMP-Pro and Apple Computer in the past. In the end, almost everyone on the internet changes and modifies far more quickly than I, and I simply cannot keep pace. I know that there are no magic fixes, but there are likely manageable alternatives. My current fear is that MAMP is now controlled by the owners of MAMP Pro, and that I will find myself entrenched in something from which I cannot easily exit without a lot of suffering. Then too, when Apple changes something everybody at Apple must move with it. This has been very painful to me in the past. Roddy :)

The advantage of building the stack manually is that you get to have absolute full control over it, extract maximum performance of it (if you compile all modules/extensions/settings you need as opposed to loading them), and even (hypothetically...) write C code that does something really cool that's not part of the distributed package.If you're not after any of that, using XAMPP would probably be best.Unfortunately for MAC, there's typically no middle way (if there is, it would be in the form of a ".dmg" file). I mean, yes, you can compile modules/extensions as libraries (typically ".so" files), and in the end achieve what Windows users take for granted, but you still need to actually compile the thing. For some UNIX distributions (Ubuntu I know for a fact, and I think others too), there's "apt-get" which does the whole "download, compile, install" procedure for you.

If you're not after any of that, using XAMPP would probably be best.
This is what I found on the XAMPP homepage: "These Mac OS X and Solaris versions of XAMPP are still in the first steps of development. Use at you own risk!" I am currently exploring UBUNTU. Roddy :)

This is what I found on the XAMPP homepage: "These Mac OS X and Solaris versions of XAMPP are still in the first steps of development. Use at you own risk!" I am currently exploring UBUNTU. Roddy :)
I'm not a mac user but what I've seen so far the ubuntu structure is very similar to the mac os driven computers I have looked at.Also you got a couple of versions of ubuntu, like kubuntu and xubuntu and more:Xubuntu is light version of ubuntu and runs on computers with low ram.Kubuntu is ubuntu but with another interface which is a lot more glossy and with more graphical effects. (mac feel over it).

I should probably add that when I say "adventure", I'm not necessarily talking about an "odyssey". I mean more like a "hike in the forest for a weekend" kind of adventure. "Exploring Ubuntu" vs. "Compiling a MAMP stack"... Assuming you're already comfortable with MAC, Ubuntu is an odyssey, and compiling a MAMP stack is a hike in the forest. You have all the instructions:ApachePHP (duplicates some of the Apache instructions) For MySQL, there are dmg files, and for PHP, there are allegedly some precompiled packages in 3rd party sites. The difficult part (where the "adventure" part comes from) is in installing all prerequisites required for compilation, and making sure you don't skip any steps while following the instructions.

I should probably add that when I say "adventure", I'm not necessarily talking about an "odyssey". I mean more like a "hike in the forest for a weekend" kind of adventure. "Exploring Ubuntu" vs. "Compiling a MAMP stack"... Assuming you're already comfortable with MAC, Ubuntu is an odyssey, and compiling a MAMP stack is a hike in the forest. You have all the instructions:ApachePHP (duplicates some of the Apache instructions) For MySQL, there are dmg files, and for PHP, there are allegedly some precompiled packages in 3rd party sites. The difficult part (where the "adventure" part comes from) is in installing all prerequisites required for compilation, and making sure you don't skip any steps while following the instructions.
That looks like the hard way, then I install: php, apache and mysql on ubuntu I throw this commands into the terminal: apt-get install apache2apt-get install php5apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5apt-get install mysql-server/etc/init.d/apache2 restart After this you have a working server for testing purpose making it a public server you still would have to go through the settings so you don't have any security holes.

The APT is only present on Debian Linux and its derivatives (e.g. Ubuntu), as boen_robot referred to somewhere above. OS X doesn't have such a great package management system (there is MacPorts but its repository is pretty small), hence the need for manual compilation. P.S.: if you do try to use MacPorts try not to overwrite software already present in OS X (e.g. X11).

The APT is only present on Debian Linux and its derivatives (e.g. Ubuntu), as boen_robot referred to somewhere above. OS X doesn't have such a great package management system (there is MacPorts but its repository is pretty small), hence the need for manual compilation. P.S.: if you do try to use MacPorts try not to overwrite software already present in OS X (e.g. X11).
I thought we where talking about Ubuntu as well? So my response was to what doing a manual compilation in Ubuntu is not needed.

I thought boen_robot was talking about compiling about OS X (as opposed to switching to Ubuntu). But anyway, manual compilation is so... fun! (And potentially frustrating :P.)

I only slipped Ubuntu initially as an example of an OS in which getting apps is relatively easy... as long as it's in Ubuntu's list, which is so for the LAMP stack.Nothing more, and nothing less. I did not mean to actually suggest it as an alternative :lol: . I then elaborated further that while the LAMP stack installation is easy, it's still a new OS we're talking about => new user habits to be formed. Not to mention that other pieces of software might have to be manually compiled =>

manual compilation is so... fun! (And potentially frustrating :P.)
=> adventure (as in "odyssey")

I thought boen_robot was talking about compiling about OS X (as opposed to switching to Ubuntu). But anyway, manual compilation is so... fun! (And potentially frustrating :P.)
Some day I will get my hands dirty and explore the manual compilation way just to see how things works ;)

Archived