RSS feeds; website blog

ThinkStainless

Hi everyone!I want to make a blog for my website (news on updates, new projects, and other interesting things) and I was reading up on RSS feeds on this website: http://www.rss-specifications.comI want to make something very similar to the way this blog is set up: http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/branding-firefoxWould anyone have any advice to give? Where to start, recomended software, programming knowledge? I'd like to be able to design the look myself, and not use an automatic creater like google's blogger. Thanks! :) (i appologize if i post this in the wrong section)

An RSS feed only contains short descriptions about the article, it's name and a link to it. The actual content is held on the site itself. So technically speaking, all "new" thing you need is to learn RSS and post a link to the file on the proper page(s) on your site. Of course, you'll have to update the file when there's a new article. You could automate this process if you write and post your articles through a server side script which adds the proper RSS content to the feed and posts the article (that's what theese "bloggers" are good for).

My favourite blogging application is WordPress. it uses PHP and a MySQL database, and is completly OSS - that means not only is it free, but you can modify any piece of it any way you want (including themes). Wordpress is easy to install and use, and has an RSS feature built right in. You can have posts, pages, and links to other web sites. It keeps track of archieves by date and category, and is just a generally well-written web app. 10 out of 10 from me.