Stored Procedure

vijay

HiPlease tell me the difference of following 2 things-->(1) to pass all possible parameter that generate query at SQL Server side and execute it--->(2) OR to build query at web server (in php/cfml file in one string variable) and passed it in to stored procedureRegards,Vijay

I think you are confusing the terminology.A Stored Procedure is a query or group of queries that are 'saved' and run at the database server level.Creating the query at the code level (php,etc) is not a stored procedure.You can execute a stored procedure from your code but a Stored Procedure is on the database.Which is better???? It has been argued both ways for a long time. I do not really have an answer for you. I like to create Stored Procedures for large groups of queries and smaller stuff I build at the code level.

Like I said before this is a big arguement in the database world.Some say Stored Procedures are better and faster and Others say building your queries at the code level is faster.I personally think that running a large number of queries as a stored procedure would be faster and when running small queries the code level would be faster.I do not have any proof to back this up but that is what I think.