Forum for Web Security?

davej

To wherever the security problem occurs. If it occurs on a web server (or even networking) layer, the web servers forum. If it occurs when you have a certain coding practice or extension in PHP, it goes in the PHP forum, etc.Keep in mind news are often exaggerated by presenting common bad practices as if "hackers have found a new way to hack big sites". Also, maybe you're reading some different news than I am... most stuff I see seems to be related to privacy and piracy problems, not security ones.

most stuff I see seems to be related to privacy and piracy problems, not security ones.
I would say that security encompasses both of those fields. Security is a very broad-spectrum topic, while privacy and piracy are specific areas of security. (Most [read: 'practically all'] news I see is related to elections and politics....:P)

I would say that security encompasses both of those fields. Security is a very broad-spectrum topic, while privacy and piracy are specific areas of security.
I'm not so sure about that... security is about providers protecting themselves from malicious users. Privacy is about users protecting themselves from malicious providers.And piracy, depending on one's viewpoint is either about providers ensuring control of their intellectual property or about users gaining access to intellectual property free of charge.Issues on this spectrum only overlap until you realize who's being compromised. After that, it's a clear division.
(Most [read: 'practically all'] news I see is related to elections and politics....:P)
Same here... Though there are a few tech news in the mainstream per year... which are those I tried to recall.

I'll give you the victory on piracy, but I still say that privacy is part of security. The classic example is Facebook. Facebook has been under constant fire for not providing or constantly changing its security features, which in turn compromises member's privacy. Privacy may be about users protecting themselves from others, but it's up to website owners and developers to implement proper security features on their websites to help protect their users. Granted users need to be aware of said features (or lack thereof) and make smart decisions with their information.

Archived