When to use firstname or username or both

Scotty13

I’m a newbie, be gentle on me. Im following a tutorial series online and Im building a social network website.I want my member to sign up with their first name, last name, etc… Q. I’m confused when it comes time to use the firstname in my scripts and when to use username. I have firstname and username in myTable. Example below… <td align="right" class="alignRt"><div align="right">First Name:<span class="brightRed"> <span class="answerquestion">*</span></span> </div></td> <td align="left" class="alignleft"><input name="username" type="text" class="formFields" id="username" value="<?php print "$username"; ?>" size="32" maxlength="36" /></td> Like algebra, its simple when you get it, I can not get it when it comes to this. Thanks in advance, Scott

I am not sure what is your problem. can you elaborate?

You want to know how to send "firstname" through the forms? <input name="firstname" type="text" class="formFields" id="username" value="<?php print "$firstname"; ?>" size="32" maxlength="36" />

Scott, When to use the username and first name is totally down to you. When you log into W3school at the top you can see your full name. However i logged in with my username. But W3schools wish to display my first and second name to me rather than the username which they could have done. You could use a firstname, surname and password as a login action but of course more than one person exsist in the world with the same name and if they both have the same password what happens then? It's NOT Recommended but it's possible.

Archived