special string problem

mona

hi, I'm doing a project using php and mysqli'm trying to allow the user enter a certain message inside a message box (very similar to this message box I'm writing in) and the user may write html tags inside message or php or any characters and double and simple quotesHow can I read his message ( as string) to be sent to mysql to be saved there and then view it again as it.i tried mysql_real_escape_string but it doesn't make any changes and if the user writes these characters ", <, ', \,/ it omits them.what should I do

Well to insert it into MySQL you need to do something like the following.

$connection = @mysql_connect("localhost", "username", "password") or die(mysql_error());$db_name = "name of database";$db = @mysql_select_db($db_name, $connection) or die(mysql_error());$sql = ' INSERT INTO `tablename` `fieldname` VALUES `input` $query = mysql_query($sql, $connection);

You can make the box into a form and send it to a file with that code. Send it with addslashes() and display it with stripslashes() if you want to allow them to put in special characters. I hope this answers your question