Building php from source

birbal

I am making an attempt to build php from source. i am following https://wiki.php.net/internals/windows/stepbystepbuild. so far now i am recieving this errors and it seems like it is not building php. how should i fix it? ERRORS: C:\php-sdk>cd C:\php-sdk\php53dev\vc9\x86\php-5.3.14C:\php-sdk\php53dev\vc9\x86\php-5.3.14>buildconfInput Error: There is no script engine for file extension ".js".Now run 'configure --help'C:\php-sdk\php53dev\vc9\x86\php-5.3.14>configure --helpInput Error: There is no script engine for file extension ".js".C:\php-sdk\php53dev\vc9\x86\php-5.3.14>configure --disable-all --enable-cli --enable-$remainsInput Error: There is no script engine for file extension ".js".C:\php-sdk\php53dev\vc9\x86\php-5.3.14>nmake snapMicrosoft ® Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729.01Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make 'snap'Stop.C:\php-sdk\php53dev\vc9\x86\php-5.3.14>

• Like 1

A google search of the error message leads to this. If you're using Windows 7, you may want to run the command prompt as an Administrator before executing that command.

It is working now. thanks for the help.

i am installing php 5.4. i was using 5.3 before with apache 2.0 do i need to compile apache from the source too? as i am using vc9 compiler to compile php and my previous apache was compiled in vc6 probably (xampp installation). so it would not be matched. if its need to compile from source i will like to upgrade to apache 2.4 but i cant see any source for windows in there official site. am i missing something? or i am limited to compile it from version 2.2?

The Windows PHP page has a link on the left to ApacheLounge binaries that you can use. If for whatever reason you don't want to use them, or (as with PHP) you can to have a custom optimized build, you can build Apache too, from the sources on Apache's site.

it looks like its compiled with vc10. would not be a problem with that?

The note at the download page suggests it wouldn't be problem:

Note: a VC10 binary loads VC10 and VC9 modules.
But if in doubt, you could always recompile PHP with VC10.

I dont have VC10 or windows sDK 7.1 either and i think it is for windows 7.I have XP SP3 and i doubt my computer will be able to fullfil their minimum system requirements. I had downloaded apache 2.4 binary and installed and configured it. server is running without the php module. Do you know where to find the source if i want to compile manually? official site does not seem like have 2.4 source for windows.

Edited by birbal

The so called "UNIX source" is actually the only source. Compilation instructions (for VC6, but I assume VC9 and VC10 would work in the same way) are available from the docs. IMHO, it's a lot trickier than the step-by-step PHP instructions.

I will take look into this. thank you for the help so far.