Storing a variable which is accessible

Guest NathanPhillips

Guest NathanPhillips

Hi all,I am mapping an XML output of a database to a different XML format. This is what I want to do: I have several <account> elements with the same Company name. The new format needs them all together under one <Company> element.For each element of the <account> type, if it has already been mapped then skip it. If this is the first encounter, mark it as mapped, then map it and all the <account> elements with the same company name.How can I do this marking? Is a variable that I create in a template visible to subsequent instatiations of the same template?Nathan

• 6 months later...

I've just stumbled across this one which means that you might be able to return the favourSomething like:

<xsl:variable name="Cmpny" select="Company" /><company><xsl:value-of select="$Cmpny"/><xsl:for-each select="account[company=$cmpny]"><account><xsl:value-of select="account" /></account></xsl:for-each></company>

There'll probably be tweaks to make to this code - I don't think it'll give you unique company names for instance (something you might be able to get round with a primary key in your database, or waiting for XML version 2!), but if my brain is working properly then this should help at least.Looks like you've been waiting a while too! :)Dooberry.