Prompt box modification

shaijuelayidath

<button onclick="myFunction()">Try it</button> <p id="demo"></p> <script>function myFunction(){var x;var name=prompt("Please enter your name","Harry Potter"); if (name!=null) { x="Hello " + name + "! How are you today?"; document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x; }}</script> i am new to javascript and refering w3schools.when execute the above codeif i am enter any name is the prompt box, it is coming correctly.eg. if I give a name 'Tom' in the prompt box, it will get' Hello Tom ! How are you today? 'But if i did'nt type any thing, or if i make it is empty, i am getting' Hello ! How are you today? 'Can i bring a word 'Stranger' in between 'Hello" and "How are you today?"if the promptbox made empty:eg.' Hello Stranger How are you today?'

something wrong again i faced, the code i done is below: <script>function myFunction(){var x;var name=prompt("Please enter your name","Harry Potter"); if (name!=null){x="Hello " + name + "! How are you today?";document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x;}else (name==null){x="Hello Stranger ! How are you today?";document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x;}}</script> if i click again in the button and enter a different name, it is showing only 'Hello Stranger !How are you today?"can it possible 'when i am entering a 'name', it should be show 'name' and when i make it empty it should show 'Hello Stranger How are you today?"

Your code is wrong in else. Use this. <script>function myFunction(){var x;var name=prompt("Please enter your name","Harry Potter");if (name!=null){x="Hello " + name + "! How are you today?";document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x;}else {x="Hello Stranger ! How are you today?";document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x;}}</script>

if (name!=null)
this if condition works in all ways, i.e. if name is null or not so try this one: <script>function myFunction(){var x;var name=prompt("Please enter your name","Harry Potter");if (name!= '') { x="Hello " + name + "! How are you today?"; document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x; }else if(name=='') {name='Stranger'; x="Hello " + name + "! How are you today?"; document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML=x; }}</script> When you leave the propt box empty then it will show "Hello Stranger! How are you today?"