Help With Overlapping Elements

hybrid kill3r

I have a main banner for a template that I am designing. I want the navigation div to overlap the banner by half the height of the navigation bar... basically, the middle of the nav bar would align with the bottom of the banner. Here's an example of what I mean. overlapexample.jpg How do I achieve this?

Edited by Hybrid Kill3r

I tested to make sure negative margins work in IE7 so should be fine from then on.

<!doctype html><html><head><title>Overlap</title>		<style>		#banner {			margin: 0 auto -15px;			width: 500px;			height: 200px;			border: 1px solid #000000;			background: #c0c0c0;			text-align: center;			font-size: 3em;			overflow: hidden;		}		#nav {			margin: 0 auto ;			width: 450px;			height: 30px;			border: 1px solid #cfcfcf;			background: #f0f0f0;			text-align: center; 			position: relative;		}		#content {			margin: 10px auto;			width: 900px;			height: 500px;			border: 1px solid #000000;			background: transparent;			color: #ffffff;			text-align: center;		}		</style></head><body><div id="banner">Banner</div><div id="nav">Nav</div><div id="content">Content</div></body></html>

Definitely this is not necessary, but I personally would put a wrapper around the two overlapping elements. Example:

<body><wrapper><bannerNavWrapper><banner></banner><nav></nav></bannerNavWrapper><content></content><wrapper></body>

Edit: I updated the CSS, was playing and found this is the best way to show the data. Keeps the banner from overflowing, the banners contents from overlapping. You don't need the overflow hidden but I like it.

Edited by DarkxPunk

try this one...

<!doctype html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>Untitled Document</title><style>.wrapper{ margin:0 auto; width:960px; padding:10px;}.BanDiv{ position:relative; width:500px; height:200px; border:1px solid #999; margin:auto}.SecnDiv{ position:absolute; width:420px; height:40px; border:1px solid #999; bottom:-20px; background-color:#333;left:40px; color:#fff}.content{ width:940px; height:555px; margin:auto; border:1px solid #999}</style></head><body>  <div class="wrapper">  <div class="BanDiv">	    Banner   <div class="SecnDiv">		    Navigation			 </div>	 </div>											 <div class="content">							 your content goes here							  </div></div></body></html>  

That would work, but I prefer to stay away from positioning like that since on some view ports and devices positioning gets wacky. Negative margins is a legitimate and sure thing!