html Validation Question (s)

jgcalifornia

Trying to get a site, page by page validated. <script src="http://www.apple.com/library/quicktime/scripts/ac_quicktime.js" language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"></script>'The language attribute on the script element is obsolete. You can safely omit it.' Everything on the site will function without the use of these scripts? I currently have 4 scripts between the head tags, and unclear as to why i wouldn't need them? Also, it says this error message for all of ym <h> tags. Where else do they go??Element h7 not allowed as child of element div in this context. (Suppressing further errors from this subtree.) <h7>FILM</h7> Appreciate any help.

Omit the language attribute (language="JavaScript") not the script. H elements should come outside div elements. Divs hold content. A header is not content. It labels content. If you are using an H element for something that is not a header, put the text in a text container (like a p or a span) and style it with CSS instead.

You should post more HTML, or provide a link. We might have to see a lot of it to see what the "context" is. Normally a p is allowed in a div. I suspect the p is wrapped in an inline element like an <a> or a <li> or something similar. I don't know why the error refers to the div, though. Seeing more HTML would be helpful.

I'm using http://validator.w3.org . I'm assuming you posted the corrected HTML. I can duplicate the error if I replace the span elements with h7 elements, but not with p elements. I suspect the real objection to the h7 is that such an element doesn't exist. (Egg on my face!) Headers go from h1-h6. I'm not sure why it didn't just say that. And as I said, I did not get an error when I replaced the h tags with p tags. FWIW, if you are using all those <br> elements to create space, you might consider using CSS margins or padding instead.