html option tag in php

westman

hi there am working with <option> in php this is my code HTML

<div align="left">  	 <select name="selected_itme" id="selected_item"> 	   <option value="">Select your item</option> 	   <?php echo $select_body ?> 	   <?php echo $select2_body ?> 	 </select> 	 </div>

PHP

$select_body .= '<option value="' . $select_id . '">' . $select_name . '</option>';  $select2_body .= '<option value="' . $select2_id . '">' . $select2_name . '</option>';

$select_body and $select2_body are in different while loops from different DB's and working well.however how do i find out witch $select_body was selected?i tried using...

$select2_body .= '<option onchange="javascript:itemtype(\'123\');" value="' . $select2_id . '">' . $select2_name . '</option>';

and

$select2_body .= '<option onclick="javascript:itemtype(\'123\');" value="' . $select2_id . '">' . $select2_name . '</option>';

but it did not work.any help?

A option element does not support the change event. The select element does. The select element also has a .value property that you can test in javascript. It returns the value property of the currently selected option. FWIW, you're using a really old way of responding to events. Here's an explanation of better options. Read the whole document.