SaaA vs PaaA vs IaaS

jimfog

I know what SaaS is(software as a service) but I am having difficulty understanding what exactly PaaS(platform as a service) and IaaS(infrastructure as a service) are. Can someone can give a hint here? I am developing a PHP web app this period-locally, can PaaS, IaaS play a role in it, at all?

Software is the end-user application, such as email, CRM, games, etc. Platform is what runs software, such as databases, web server software (e.g. Apache), etc. Infrastructure is the hardware, servers, network components, etc. Those things are services when you rent or subscribe to them from a vendor that offers them.

regarding PaaS...You mean that I could use such a service and develop my application, instead of developing it locally.

A hosting account is you renting both a platform and infrastructure, for example, where you develop the software. It's not really a new concept, it's just a marketing term that people who run cloud computing services and things use to describe their product.

A hosting account is you renting both a platform and infrastructure, for example, where you develop the software. It's not really a new concept, it's just a marketing term that people who run cloud computing services and things use to describe their product.
Probably...nowadays, PaaS and IaaS has evolved to something more advanced than just a hosting functionality...and as such has gained moreattention. See http://www.heroku.com/ for example. I am not sure...