Using attributes for xsl:copy-of?

lithium

Scenario:I have XML files wich look like this:...<foo> <bar1></something></bar1> <bar2></something_different></bar2> <bar3></again_something_different></bar3></foo><foo> <bar1></something></bar> <bar2></something_different></bar2> <bar3></again_something_different></bar3></foo>...so there are many instances of <foo> with different data stored in them.What I want to have is this:...<foo name="1"> <bar1></something></bar1> <bar2></something_different></bar2></foo><foo name="2"> <bar1></something></bar1> <bar2></something_different></bar2></foo>...So I use <xsl:for-each select="foo"> to loop through all the <foo>s, output <foo> and then output <bar1> and <bar2> using <xsl:copy-of select="foo/bar"/>.The problem with this - naturally - is that I want only the corresponding <bar*> tags, not all of the document.Is there a way to only output the <bar*>s of the currently looped <foo>, eg, using the name attribute of <foo>?

So what I get is that the current XSLT is pretty much something like:

<xsl:for-each select="foo"><foo name="{position(current())}"><xsl:copy-of select="./*"></foo></xsl:for-each>

Or what? I mean, it's pretty useless not to use the star when all elements are different. If that doesn't work, then perhaps changing the path to only "." or possibly "descendant::current()"?By the way, you gotta be kidding me for the way your XML looks. The contents of the bars can't begin with a closing tag :) .[edit] I don't think you got my idea. In bar1 you have </something> which technically speaking is a closing tag to the opening tag <something>. If you meant an empty element, it would have been <something/> :) [/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

By the way, you gotta be kidding me for the way your XML looks. The contents of the bars can't begin with a closing tag :) .
The contents of the <bar>s are supposed to be child tags in <bar> But I should get some sleep, after trying again, I think I don't need the attributes at all... Thanks anyway ^^

Ok, what I really need to know is this:Let's say I have a tag <foo name="SomeSpecialValue">...and I want the output to have a tag like <bar name="SomeSpecialValue">...How can I get that? I can output <bar name="Constant"> but I want the name to be the output of <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>Is that possibe?

If the name of the attribute (in this case "name") is known and consistent (doesn't change of some criteria and always exists), then you could use a variable and pass it's value to the attribute. Like this:

<xsl:variable name="name" select="PathToTheSpecialValue" /><bar name="{$name}">

If it's varying and it's not known if it exist, you must use the method I showed you in the other topic (the one including xsl:attribute in it).[edit] Oh, I forgot. You can actually open the variable and have all kinds of things in it. Then it's whole output would be passes instead of the single XPAth expression. Something like this:

<xsl:variable name="name">Some weird stuff you'll want to do</xsl:variable><bar name="{$name}">

[/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

Just the {$name} thing was what I needed, thanks!I think I have what I need now. But I'm curious: the output doesn't have a .dtd specified, is there a way to add one using the xsl sheet?

Yup. Check all the features of the output element.