Custom header in WordPress?

littlevictorian

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I am trying to make a header for my new WordPress blog that includes the menu (not above or below the header like the standard options are). Here is a crude sketch-up of what I'd like:Header.jpgI'd also love for the menu items on either side of the logo to be drop-downs. I knew how to create this in Blogger, but I'm really struggling with WordPress. It looks like the only thing that is allowed in the header area is an image. I've been googling for a couple days, but can't find any tutorials to make a custom, interactive header that works in WP. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

No offensive to you but I think you are biting off more than you can do. Whatever your theme name is you can add your own html source to the header.php. Of course you have to have a good understanding of html/php or else it will break. The other way is to add just the logo to the header via WP theme admin and do some rework of the theme itseltto allow you to position the theme's menu to where you want it. Again, you have to be a bit savvy with html/css/php to do that. Out of the box Wordpress is great but if you plan on making number of obvious customization then you either need to learn the basic as well as some advanced coding or find someone that is willing to give you the time to do it for you. Otherwise, hire someone to get it done for you.

No offense taken, thank you for your response! I do have a good handle on HTML and CSS basics (I already created a similar header and drop down menus from scratch in HTML and CSS for my old Blogger blog), what I don't know is PHP. I purchased the Prose theme on the Genesis framework so I could get a handle on WP before trying to do more complicated things in it. Adding custom HTML and CSS was so simple in Blogger, I had no idea it would be so complicated here. Guess I need to take a PHP class before I can do anything? Even then, where does everyone go to learn the basics of customizing WP? I'm having the hardest time finding any quality tutorials.

Create a new file call "custom-header.php" (or whateveryouwant.php) and put it in where your current WordPress theme folder is. In your current WordPress theme's header file, add this code somewhere in it:<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/custom-header.php'); ?> Add whatever you want to the "custom-header.php" file. See if it helps. I created my own WordPress theme: http://leev18.com/20...drop-down-menu/I'm still newbish at php also.

Edited by leev18
  • Like 1