using trim

jimfog

Do you think that when I validate form with js I should use trim() for removing the whitespace

or I should leave this entirely on server-side code?

I think both are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

any comment on the above?

It depends on the requirements for your site, do what works for your site. If you need to trim the data before you validate in Javascript, then trim it.

Well...the issue here is I DO NOT know if my site would require such functionality.

I intend using trim in a form where the user can edit its profile...name,phone,e-mail etc...

It is a pretty standard type of form I think.

What I should do?I intend using trim.

Is there any argument NOT to use it from the description I gave above?

the issue here is I DO NOT know if my site would require such functionality

But you think I do?

Here's the basic idea: if trimming the data would affect form validation, then trim it. If it's not going to affect validation then it doesn't matter.

But you think I do?

Here's the basic idea: if trimming the data would affect form validation, then trim it. If it's not going to affect validation then it doesn't matter.

Of course I do not expect from you to know the requirements of my application.

I was asking just to know if there is a standard approach used by developers in this matter.

It is much better to keep garbage out of a database than to try to get it out later. Trim is something that is easily done with hardly any effort at all and is probably needed to validate anyway.

Of course I do not expect from you to know the requirements of my application.I was asking just to know if there is a standard approach used by developers in this matter.

I understand, I'm just trying to get you to think about whether or not its needed. There's not a standard that everyone uses for things like validation or whether or not to use ajax with a contact form, those kinds of decisions are yours to make based on your requirements for the application. You ask questions like that from time to time where I think the best answer is for you to pick the one that makes sense to you, implement it, and use it for a while to see if it works. If it didn't work, then you learn something.