sanitize filters

jimfog

I found this code in tha php manual, the link is here...http://www.php.net/manual/en/filter.filters.sanitize.php:

array_filter($_POST, 'trim_value');    // the data in $_POST is trimmed$postfilter =    // set up the filters to be used with the trimmed post array    array(            'user_tasks'                        =>    array('filter' => FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING, 'flags' => !FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_LOW),    // removes tags. formatting code is encoded -- add nl2br() when displaying            'username'                            =>    array('filter' => FILTER_SANITIZE_ENCODED, 'flags' => FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_LOW),    // we are using this in the url            'mod_title'                            =>    array('filter' => FILTER_SANITIZE_ENCODED, 'flags' => FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_LOW),    // we are using this in the url        );

What I cannot find to the above code -in the one assigned in the postfilter variable specifically- the reference to the $_POST array.

The comment besides the postfilter says..."to be used with the trimmed post array".

I do not see any reference to that array in the code below.

As you might guessed I am not so experienced with arrays that's why I need some help here.

$_POST is an array and it's being manipulated here:

array_filter($_POST, 'trim_value');

I assume trim_value is a function that removes whitespace from the left and right of all the strings that the array contains.

My question WHERE it is mentioned in the code below:

$postfilter =    // set up the filters to be used with the trimmed post array    array(            'user_tasks'                        =>    array('filter' => FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING, 'flags' => !FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_LOW),    // removes tags. formatting code is encoded -- add nl2br() when displaying            'username'                            =>    array('filter' => FILTER_SANITIZE_ENCODED, 'flags' => FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_LOW),    // we are using this in the url            'mod_title'                            =>    array('filter' => FILTER_SANITIZE_ENCODED, 'flags' => FILTER_FLAG_STRIP_LOW),    // we are using this in the url        );

The writer of the code says "....be used with the trimmed post array".

So, do you see the variable POST anywhere above?

Edited by jimfog

The filters are being set up, but they haven't been used on the $_POST array yet.

There's more code that you omitted. The following line is this:

$revised_post_array = filter_var_array($_POST, $postfilter);    // must be referenced via a variable which is now an array that takes the place of $_POST[]