Read More Link

viswa46

Hi Everyone,

I've use case lets us say in a paragraph i've 100 lines i need to display first 50 lines and other 50 lines should not be displayed.But when i click on Read More link all the lines should be displayed(100 lines).

When the 100 lines are displayed then the close link should be enabled and when i click on the link 50 lines should be displyed.

Thanks in advance!!

If you simply place a span around the portion of the text to be toggled you could apply a class with display:hidden and then have the more link add or remove that class and also change the link text between more and close.

• 2 weeks later...

add this css:

p.collapsible{     overflow:hidden;/*content outside <p>'s dimensions are hidden*/     max-height:50em;/*only shows upto first 50 lines of text*/}p.collapsible.expand{     overflow:auto;/*in case <p>'s parent has a height limit*/     max-height:none;/*removes lines limit*/}

then add this javascript in your <head><script> tag.

function toggleCollapse(DomEle){     var classes = DomEle.className.split(" ");     for(var i=0;i<classes.length;i++){          if(classes[i] == "expand"){               DomEle.className = classes.splice(i,1).join(" ");               return;          }     }       DomEle.className = classes.unshift("expand").join(" ");}// simple cross-browser function for adding events to DOM elementsvar addEvent = (function () {     var L = function (el, ev, fn) {          if (el.addEventListener) {               L = function (el, ev, fn) {                    el.addEventListener(ev, fn, false);               };          } else if (el.attachEvent) {               L = function (el, ev, fn) {                    el.attachEvent('on' + ev, fn);               };          } else {               L = function (el, ev, fn) {                    el['on' + ev] =  fn;               };          }          L(el, ev, fn);     };     return function (el, ev, fn) {          L(el, ev, fn);     };}());//adds toggleCollapse to all <p> tags with a "collapsible" classaddEvent(body,"load",function(){     var domPs = document.getElementsByTagName("p");     ontoNextDom:     for(var i=0; i<domPs.length;i++){          var classes = domPs[i].className.split(" ");                    for(var c=0;c<classes.length;c++){               if(classes[i]=="collapsible"){                    addEvent(domPs[i],"click",toggleCollapse(domPs[i]))                    continue ontoNextDom;               }          }     }});

Or if you are using jQuery you can ignore all the previous javascript code and instead add this into a <script> tag at the very bottom of the page:

$("p.collapsible").click(function(){  $(this).toggle("expand");});

OR you can get away with no javascript if you instead replace p.collapsible.expand with p.collapsible:hover in the CSS. however you'll need to keep the cursor over the paragraph for all lines to show.