SQL for address database

drjake

I am working for Non-profit, well not really. My dad sits on the board, and I'm their technical support. My question is the board wants to get their name out through flyers, emails, etc. I've succesfully done this before, however I think my system is rather clumbsy. I had an access database, that I brought into to outlook, from there I exported to word, and was able to print mailing labels. All fine and dandy, but they want to expand their database of members, send email announcments, and mailers monthly. I was wondering is SQL the best option for this?Thank you for any help.Jake

Yes it is :) You can choose for a MySQL database which can be served at their server by downloading it, it is open source! :)Go to http://www.mysql.org to see the documentation, and more.Go see the SQL tutorial to handle the database, and I suggest PHP to handle SQL, lol :)But that may seem too much, so start at the beginning: check on what exactly everything means, and what it does so you can determine what you want to use. :blink:

Edited by Dan The Prof

Thanks for the response.However, you've sparked some questions.What is open source, and what does it mean to manageing or creating a database?Is an SQL database created with just a word processor like html?Is PHP the best way to create and manage a database?Again thanks for the response, and I will read about MySQL.JakeEDIT:Noticed you were from Holland, I'm the first one in my family whose not more than half dutch. :)

That is what I meant for searching what they all mean :)PHP is a server-side programming language, that can output the code you will see in your browser, and manipulate the content before it has been sent. MySQL is an open source database, which means everone can download and install it without payment. SQL is the language with which you interact with the database, which on itself cannot be modified by just a texteditor. You should send commands like "select all the data from table 'names', where lastname is 'Drjake'" However, this was more like english language rather than SQL. An SQL example:

SELECT * FROM members WHERE country='Chicago' AND firstname!='drjake' ORDER BY lastname
And those 'queries' are given to the database (sent to) by using PHP. Like:
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members WHERE country='Chicago' AND firstname!='drjake' ORDER BY lastname");
PHP can also send queries that create databases, create tables, insert data, modify, alter, update, and so one. :)

Is the w3school the best free place to learn this, or is there other resources you would recommend?Also, I need to be able to print mailing labels, is this possible with an SQL database, or can it be made possible?Thanks for you help.Jake