help help how to count records in a query?

claudio

hi, perhaps i'm going crazy but...I've this problem.I don' know how to number the records of a resultset. I've this query:select A.id,A.descrizione as articolo,R.qt,R.um,R.importo,T.id_clienteC as id_cliente, C.ragsoc as cliente,C.indir,C.citta,C.cap,C.prov,'VENDITA' as tipoVendita,T.numero,T.anno,T.sezionalefrom articoli as A,ddt_testate as T,ddt_righe as R,clienti as C,sezionali as Swhere T.numero = R.numero and T.anno = R.anno and T.sezionale = R.sezionaleand R.id_articolo = A.id and T.id_clienteC = C.id and C.tipo = 'C'and A.id_casamadre = S.id_casamadre and T.sezionale = S.id and A.id_casamadre = 180 and R.causale = 'VENDITA'and T.annullato = '0'and T.data >= '2006-04-01' and T.data <= '2006-05-25'unionselect A.id,A.descrizione as articolo,R.qt,R.um,R.importo,T.id_clienteC as id_cliente, C.ragsoc as cliente,C.indir,C.citta,C.cap,C.prov,'OMAGGIO' as tipoVendita,T.numero,T.anno,T.sezionalefrom articoli as A,ddt_testate as T,ddt_righe as R,clienti as C,sezionali as Swhere T.numero = R.numero and T.anno = R.anno and T.sezionale = R.sezionaleand R.id_articolo = A.id and T.id_clienteC = C.id and C.tipo = 'C'and A.id_casamadre = S.id_casamadre and T.sezionale = S.id and A.id_casamadre = 180 and R.causale = 'OMAGGIO'and T.annullato = '0' and T.data >= '2006-04-01' and T.data <= '2006-05-25'and I've to introduce a counter who count the customers (clienti) but I don't know how to do this.can anyone helps me?thank you at all and excuse me for my bad english (I'm Italian):) Claudio :)

Pff :)I know this is the syntax:

SELECT customers FROM table WHERE something='something'
But with your query?.. ehm..Isn't there any chance it could be shorter? :):) Edited by Dan The Prof

This query does result in the customers indeed, but the count can be done in the script that handles your queries :)Like in PHP:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT customers FROM table WHERE something='something'");$count = mysql_num_rows($result);
And thats all there is to it :)

If you are using COUNT(Fieldname) then you'll have to use GROUP BY clause.If you are writing this query as stored procedure then you can do one thing, store the result of the query in a temporary table and then count the number of rows like SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #temp.

If you are using COUNT(Fieldname) then you'll have to use GROUP BY clause.If you are writing this query as stored procedure then you can do one thing, store the result of the query in a temporary table and then count the number of rows like SELECT COUNT(*) FROM #temp.

Thanks, I forgot about the GROUP BY