Shopping Cart Frameworks

ShadowMage

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you could give me some recomendations on frameworks for online shopping carts. I've found a few (and I like the looks of OpenCart) but I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of security and usability (for someone experienced in programming like myself and someone with absolutely zero knowledge like my mom). Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome back!

The only one I've known of is Magento, but I heard it's kinda cumbersome and slightly overwhelming to deal with. Not sure if it's too big for you needs either.

Good to be back! Good to see some of the veterans are still around. ^_^

I've heard the same things about Magento so I think that one's out of the question. I need something easy to work with since I've never worked with this kind of stuff before. Did you look at OpenCart? What are your thoughts on that one?

I also thought about just writing everything from scratch but I imagine that would be a huge undertaking.

how many products? what are some of the requirements? can you just leverage the Paypal API so all the transactions and credit stuff happens offsite? Then you're just responsible for managing a products and orders tables, essentially.

Hmm....would the PayPal API allow me to process multiple payment gateways or would it restrict me to requiring customers to set up a PayPal account? I'll have to look into that. If it allows me to use gateways other than PayPal, I could definitely go that route. I just don't want to have to try setting up payment processing stuff myself.

[edit]

Wow, there's a lot of different APIs for PayPal..... :blink: Long story short is that, with the right API, PayPal does indeed let me process credit cards and stuff without customers having to have a PayPal account.

[/edit]

As for products and requirements, I'm not entirely sure. Product base will likely be fairly large (possibly several thousand). Not sure what sort of requirements you're asking about. It's going to be a simple mom&pop online store selling camping and outdoor stuff and drop shipping from third party warehouses. It also needs to be easy to manage products and orders and whatnot as well as possibly altering certain elements of the page (like images and such) because my mom will be the one managing it and she has no knowledge of web design/development at all.

Edited by ShadowMage

I have done something similar for a friends site. A couple hundred mineral and gem specimans that we send everyone to paypal to when they are ready to checkout. By requirements, I mean what is expected of the storefront? For example, my friend wanted :

• categorization of gems / minerals
  • multiple pictures of the same speciman
  • deep linking via URL to the product (opens the right album, opens the right product in the overlay)
  • a discount feature that can be turned on / off, and can either be in dollars or percent off the final sale

For you, you might also want a quantity feature (I think I will need to do the same soon).

All of this though should be managed through a back in admin section. Currently my friend can do the following:

• add / edit / delete products (including uploading / changing images)
  • add / edit / delete categories
  • manage promotional offering (how much, and dollar or percentage off)

So those are just some of the things to think about. I am currently in the process though of refactoring the entire site, and creating an Angular driven front end built off node and grunt, and Slim powered backend built of Phing and Composer. Before all the front end back end code was mixed. ugh! NEVER AGAIN.

I recommend you consider the same (doesn't have to be the same tools, but the concept). Granted you have two apps now (a webapp, and an api) but it's so much more practical, and you can build and test just for the domain. And it's an awesome learning experience for me in both coding, architecture, continuous integration and deploying.

I touch upon it here as well

http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=49764

I plan on commenting on my work from this week over the weekend in that thread.

Hope that helps!