<select> with default value

anilkumar

Hello all, I had the problem ussing <select> in html with default value.<select name="cars" onChange="gcr_sbmit();"><option selected="selected" value=""></option><option value="volvo">Volvo</option><option value="saab">Saab</option><option value="fiat">Fiat</option><option value="audi">Audi</option></select>I want to raise the event when the user does the selection, but the actual problem raises when the user selects the selected option with "" as value.I dont want to raise event for it, how can i get tht be done( i.e. i dont want to execute the gcr_submit function for tht selected value)Thanks,Regards,Anil.

You could see if this helps:<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function comingsoon(){document.write("Comming soon<br />")}</script></head><body><select size="5"><option onclick="comingsoon()" disabled>test<option onclick="comingsoon()" disabled>test2</select></body></html>

<select name="cars" onChange="if (this.value) gcr_sbmit();"><option selected="selected">Select an option:</option><option value="volvo">Volvo</option><option value="saab">Saab</option><option value="fiat">Fiat</option><option value="audi">Audi</option></select>
Like this, there is no value for the selected (default) option. The function will only be called for options that do have a value :) Edited by Dan The Prof