Variable line heights within a list: is it possible?

Bert Coules

I have a list, configured like this:

ul.website_credits_list {    list-style-type: none;    line-height: 2;}

One item is a longer text string than the others, which means that at some narrower screen widths it wraps into two lines:

Item one is short. Item two is short. Item three is a bit longer and therefore spills over. Item four is short.I want to set a single instance of line-height: 1 for that longer item, so it appears like this:

Item three is a bit longer

and therefore spills over

I've tried using span class:

.single_line_height {   line-height: 1}<span class="single_line_height"><li>Item three which is longer and therefore spills over</li></span>

but this affects the spacing above and below the item as well as within it and disrupts the overall look of the list. Alternatively, putting the span tags inside the <li> </li> tags has no effect at all.I'll carry on experimenting and searching, but what is the standard way around this? Many thanks.

Edited by Bert Coules

You can't put block elements inside a span.

Give a class name to your <li> element: <li class="single_line_height">

You should use units for your line height:

line-height: 1em;

Ingolme, many thanks for the rapid reply. I'll do as you say. I thought it was OK to express line heights just as numerical values - I can't have made that up, so I must have seen it done that way somewhere - and while it seems to work, I'll certainly add the "em" to the entries.

Edited to add:

Unfortunately that didn't work: the long line now wraps perfectly with a single line height, but the double line spaces above and below it are now somewhat less than they should be:

list.jpg

They look like 1.5 line-height to me. It's exactly the same result that I got when I tried putting a span around the <li> </li> tags.

Edited by Bert Coules

Line-height adds space above and below the text. By setting the line-height to 1em you remove extra space between that element and the ones above and below it.

You can add top and bottom padding to compensate. 0.5em of padding on each side should be enough.

The padding is not being added to the text, it's being added to the box surrounding the text.

<li> elements are blocks, they are invisible boxes (until you give them a background or border, then they are visible).