using 'inline' for outter div and 'block' for inner div

llass61

I am new to css. I am trying to style a group of label/input elements for an Address. I would like to be able to display the label in front of the associated input box, and then change to show on top of the associated box (modifying the css).

## set div's to inline (the input and label are inline by default)#Prefix: "Input Prefix Name"   Last:  "Input Last Name"  First:  "Input First" and also ## change inner divs, or input and label to 'block'.  Both failed!#Prefix:                           Last:                      First:"Input Prefix Name"               "Input Last Name"          "Input First" 

Getting the label to display in front is easy, but when I change my css to try and get the label and input elements to align vertically (change to 'block' display), I get really bad/weird results. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to change it? HTML

<!doctype html><html lang="en">     <head>          <meta charset="utf-8">          <title>Work</title>          <meta name="description" content="iPMS">          <meta name="author" content="SitePoint">          <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/styles.css">          <!--[if lt IE 9]>               <script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>          <![endif]-->     </head>     <body>          <fieldset id="clietInformation">               <legend>Client Information</legend>                            <div id="name">                    <div id="prefix_">                         <label for="prefix">Prefix:</label>                         <input id="prefix" type="text"/>                    </div>                    <div id="first_">                         <label for="first">First:</label>                         <input id="first" type="text"/>                    </div>                    <div id="middle_">                         <label for="middle">Middle:</label>                         <input id="middle" type="text"/>                    </div>                    <div id="last_">                         <label for="last">Last:</label>                         <input id="last" type="text"/>                    </div>                    <div id="suffix_">                         <label for="suffix">Suffix:</label>                         <input id="suffix" type="text"/>                    </div>               </div>                       </fieldset>     </body></html> 

CSS

@import url("resetss.css");body, input { font-size:     small; }input { font-inherit:     true;        border: solid black 1px;}fieldset {     border: black 1px solid;     padding: 5px;}/* input, label { display: block; } */#name  > div { display: inline; }#name > div label { display: block; }#name  #prefix { width: 2.5em; }#name  #first { width: 7em; }#name  #middle { width: 1em; }#name  #last { width: 10em; }#name  #suffix { width: 2.5em; }
Edited by llass61

The code that I sent you (html and css) work fine. It puts all labels and input elements "inline".

In the css, I have a rule commented out: /* input, label { display: block; } */

If you uncomment this rule, you get pretty bad results. What I wanted to do was

to put the the label for each associated input element on top of the input element.

Example:

Prefix:                 Last:     [PreFixInputBox]        [PreFixInputBox]

I still wanted each different name part to be inline, just with the associated labels on top of each input element.

I uncommented that line and saw no change in IE 11, FF 35, and Chrome 39.

There are several ways to accomplish what you seem to be describing, however I don't think I understand why you need both a horizontal and a vertical arrangement, and I don't understand how or when you will wish to switch between them.

I don't claim to be any good as css but here is an example...

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><meta charset="utf-8"/><title>Work</title><meta name="description" content="iPMS"><meta name="author" content="SitePoint"><link rel="stylesheet" href="css/styles.css"><style>*{margin:0;padding:0;}body, input { font-size: small; }input { font-inherit:     true;        border: solid black 1px;}fieldset {     border: black 1px solid;     padding: 5px;}@media screen and (max-width:600px){#clientInformation{ width: 10em; }}@media screen and (min-width:600px){#clientInformation{ width: 30em; } }#name > div { float:left; }#prefix_, #prefix { width: 2.5em;margin-right:1em; }#first_, #first { width: 7em;margin-right:1em; }#middle_, #middle{ width: 1em;margin-right:3em; }#last_, #last{ width: 10em;margin-right:1em; }#suffix_, #suffix{ width: 2.5em;margin-right:1em; }</style>          <!--[if lt IE 9]>               <script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>          <![endif]--></head><body>          <fieldset id="clientInformation">               <legend>Client Information</legend>                            <div id="name">                    <div id="prefix_">                         <label>Prefix:<input id="prefix" type="text"/></label>                    </div>                    <div id="first_">                         <label>First:                         <input id="first" type="text"/></label>                    </div>                    <div id="middle_">                         <label>Middle:                         <input id="middle" type="text"/></label>                    </div>                    <div id="last_">                         <label>Last:                         <input id="last" type="text"/></label>                    </div>                    <div id="suffix_">                         <label>Suffix:                         <input id="suffix" type="text"/></label>                    </div>               </div>             <br style="clear:both">          </fieldset></body></html> 

OK - figured it out!

Guess I wasn't being very clear on what I wanted. But thanks to all who tried to help!

If you load the html below, you will get one of the options I was looking for. You will get a request form for the prefix and last name with the labels on top of the input boxes.

Second option I wanted was to just have the labels (Prefix:, and Last:) labels to the left of the input boxes. To do this, I just had to comment out the following line:

"label { display: block; }" *** in the style section

The problem I was having earlier was that I was setting the "div > div" combinator/selector with a display of 'inline'. Not sure why this causes the page to freak out. Maybe displaying a div inline is not so good! Using 'inline-block' is fine!

If anyone has any info on why setting the div to 'inline' is bad, I would love to know!

Thanks!

<!doctype html><html lang="en">     <head>          <meta charset="utf-8">          <title>iPMS</title>          <meta name="description" content="iPMS">          <meta name="author" content="SitePoint">                    <!--[if lt IE 9]>               <script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>          <![endif]-->                    <style>                div {                    padding: 5px;                }                div > div {                    border: solid black 1px;                    display: inline-block;                }                label { display: block; }          </style>     </head>     <body>          <fieldset id="clietInformation">               <legend>Client Information</legend>                             <div id="name">                    <div id="prefix_">                         <label for="prefix">Prefix:</label>                         <input id="prefix" type="text"/>                    </div>                    <div id="first_">                         <label for="first">First:</label>                         <input id="first" type="text"/>                    </div>               </div>                        </fieldset>     </body></html>

An inline element cannot have a width, height, padding or margins. It only occupies as much horizontal space as the content that's within it, it only occupies as much vertical space on each line as the line-height CSS property tells it to.

It really makes no sense to put a block inside an inline element. The block will behave nearly as if the inline element didn't exist.

OK - Not sure I get the total picture though!

I had a div element that I set as 'inline' (only show contents!). It had children (label,input) elements that I set as 'block' so that they would be stacked on top of each other. The question is, what will the outter div show for content. I believe you said that it would treat the outter div as if it didn't exist (since its 'inline'). But thats not what I get, I get some pretty bad results.