How can my Form input values pass to a draw canvas Function?

cstahr

I have a Form that prompts for number values to calculate a number and draw circles on a grid, supposedly a silicon wafer and all the possible devices that can fit on a wafer of a given diameter. How can I pass dieX and dieY values to the drawShape() function below. Thank you.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title> DPW Calculator </title> <style> canvas { border: 2px solid black; } label, input { display: block; } label { padding-top: 20px; } </style></head><body><canvas id="mycanvas" width="445px" height="445px" ></canvas> <form onsubmit="return false" oninput="GDPW.value = parseInt(((parseInt(waferSize.value)/2 - parseInt(edgeLoss.value)) * (parseInt(waferSize.value)/2 - parseInt(edgeLoss.value)) * 3.1416) / (parseFloat(dieX.value)* parseFloat(dieY.value)));GDC.value= (parseInt(waferCost.value)/parseInt(GDPW.value)).toFixed(2);"> <b> <label>Wafer Size (mm) </label> <input name="waferSize" type="number" min=150 max=300 step=50 value="200"> <label>Edge Loss (mm)</label> <input name="edgeLoss" type="number" value="5" min=0 max=6> <label>Die Width (mm)</label> <input name="dieX" id="dieX" type="number" min=0 max=70> <label>Die Height (mm)</label> <input name="dieY" id="dieY" type="number" min=0 max=70 oninput="drawShape(dieX, dieY)"> <label>Wafer Cost</label> <input name="waferCost" type="number"> <label>Gross Dies Per Wafer</label> = <output name="GDPW" for="GDPW"></output> <label>Gross Cost per Die</label> = <output name="GDC" for="GDC"></output> </form><script type="text/javascript">function drawShape(dieX, dieY){ // get the canvas element using the DOM var canvas = document.getElementById('mycanvas'); // Make sure we don't execute when canvas isn't supported if (canvas.getContext){ // use getContext to use the canvas for drawing var ctx = canvas.getContext('2d'); //var dieX = 10 //var dieY = 10 var edgeLoss = 5 var waferSize = 200 var edgeLoss = 5 // Draw Wafer ctx.beginPath(); ctx.arc(220,220,waferSize,0,Math.PI*2,true); // Outer Edge ctx.arc(220,220,(waferSize-edgeLoss),0,Math.PI*2,true); // Good die edge ctx.stroke(); // Draw Dies for (var x = 1; x < 450; x += dieX) { ctx.moveTo(x, 0); ctx.lineTo(x, 440); } for (var y = 1; y < 450; y += dieY) { ctx.moveTo(0, y); ctx.lineTo(440, y); } ctx.strokeStyle = "#a9a9a9"; ctx.stroke(); } else { alert('You need Safari or Firefox 1.5+ to see this demo.'); }}</script></body></html>

Edited by cstahr

There's no oninput event that I know of.

You can use the onkeyup event.

onkeyup="drawShape()"

Inside the event handler you have to access the element and get its value:

function drawShape() {    var dieX = document.getElementById("dieX").value;    var dieY = document.getElementById("dieY").value;

Thank you, I tried your suggestion but did not work. onkeyup did not work for me, but I kept the oninput in HTML5, to invoke the function without the arguments ...

<input name="dieY" id="dieY" type="number" min=0 max=70 oninput="drawShape()">

... and used the getElementById suggestion:

var dieX = document.getElementById("dieX").value; var dieY = document.getElementById("dieY").value;

... this started the grid drawing (good) but did not draw it correctly.

Thanks, I wish it was that. If I set the var var= value inside of the function it works OK. Howvere, if I enter the value in teh web page, using the form, the value I enter does not trickle down into the function. Feel free to try the HTML and javascript code

This is teh current code, with teh dieX and dieY values given inside the function. I would like dieX and dieY values to be taken from the form input. Thank you !!

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title>Dies per Wafer Calculator</title> <style> canvas { border: 2px solid black; } label, input { display: block; } label { padding-top: 20px; } </style></head><body><canvas id="mycanvas" width="445px" height="445px" ></canvas> <form onsubmit="return false" oninput="GDPW.value = parseInt(((parseInt(waferSize.value)/2 - parseInt(edgeLoss.value)) * (parseInt(waferSize.value)/2 - parseInt(edgeLoss.value)) * 3.1416) / (parseFloat(dieX.value)* parseFloat(dieY.value)));GDC.value= (parseInt(waferCost.value)/parseInt(GDPW.value)).toFixed(2);"> <b> <label>Wafer Size (mm) </label> <input name="waferSize" type="number" min=150 max=300 step=50 value="200"> <label>Edge Loss (mm)</label> <input name="edgeLoss" type="number" value="5" min=0 max=6> <label>Die Width (mm)</label> <input name="dieX" id="dieX" type="number" min=0 max=70> <label>Die Height (mm)</label> <input name="dieY" id="dieY" type="number" min=0 max=70 oninput="drawShape()"> <label>Wafer Cost</label> <input name="waferCost" type="number"> <label>Gross Dies Per Wafer</label> = <output name="GDPW" for="GDPW GDC"></output> <label>Gross Cost per Die</label> = <output name="GDC" for="GDPW GDC"></output> </form><script type="text/javascript">function drawShape(){ // get the canvas element using the DOM var canvas = document.getElementById('mycanvas'); // Make sure we don't execute when canvas isn't supported if (canvas.getContext){ // use getContext to use the canvas for drawing var ctx = canvas.getContext('2d'); var dieX = 10 var dieY = 8 var edgeLoss = 5 var waferSize = 200 var edgeLoss = 5 // Draw Wafer ctx.beginPath(); ctx.arc(220,220,waferSize,0,Math.PI*2,true); // Outer Edge ctx.arc(220,220,(waferSize-edgeLoss),0,Math.PI*2,true); // Good die edge ctx.stroke(); // Draw Dies for (var x = 1; x < 450; x += dieX) { ctx.moveTo(x, 0); ctx.lineTo(x, 440); } for (var y = 1; y < 450; y += dieY) { ctx.moveTo(0, y); ctx.lineTo(440, y); } ctx.strokeStyle = "#a9a9a9"; ctx.stroke(); } else { alert('You need Safari or Firefox 1.5+ to see this demo.'); }}</script></body></html>

I want to know what code you used to get the values from the form inputs. The one that's not working. I can't debug code that already works.

I want to know what code you used to get the values from the form inputs. The one that's not working. I can't debug code that already works.

This is the HTML5 input to acquire the dieX and dieY values:

<label>Die Width (mm)</label> <input name="dieX" id="dieX" type="number" min=0 max=70> <label>Die Height (mm)</label> <input name="dieY" id="dieY" type="number" min=0 max=70 oninput="drawShape()">

... once the dieY value is entered in the web page, the drawShape() function is invoked. I want to send the values in dieX and dieY into the function so it can draw a grid with dieX step and dieY step. As the code is now, I have set values inside of the function so it always draws a grid with steps of 8 and 10:

var dieX = 10 var dieY = 8

... therefore, I want these vars not to be set inside of the function but to bring them from the users' input in the form. Thank you again. I hope this is more clear now.

Edited by cstahr

Yes, I already told you how to do that:

There's no oninput event that I know of.

You can use the onkeyup event.

onkeyup="drawShape()"

Inside the event handler you have to access the element and get its value:

function drawShape() {    var dieX = document.getElementById("dieX").value;    var dieY = document.getElementById("dieY").value;

You said it wasn't working, so I want you to show me the code you tried to use.

Here is the code, as you suggested, but unfortunately id does not complete the drawing of the grid:

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title>Dies per Wafer Calculator</title> <style> canvas { border: 2px solid black; } label, input { display: block; } label { padding-top: 20px; } </style></head><body><canvas id="mycanvas" width="445px" height="445px" ></canvas> <form onsubmit="return false" oninput="GDPW.value = parseInt(((parseInt(waferSize.value)/2 - parseInt(edgeLoss.value)) * (parseInt(waferSize.value)/2 - parseInt(edgeLoss.value)) * 3.1416) / (parseFloat(dieX.value)* parseFloat(dieY.value)));GDC.value= (parseInt(waferCost.value)/parseInt(GDPW.value)).toFixed(2);"> <b> <label>Wafer Size (mm) </label> <input name="waferSize" type="number" min=150 max=300 step=50 value="200"> <label>Edge Loss (mm)</label> <input name="edgeLoss" type="number" value="5" min=0 max=6> <label>Die Width (mm)</label> <input name="dieX" id="dieX" type="number" min=0 max=70> <label>Die Height (mm)</label> <input name="dieY" id="dieY" type="number" min=0 max=70 onkeyup="drawShape()"> <label>Wafer Cost</label> <input name="waferCost" type="number"> <label>Gross Dies Per Wafer</label> = <output name="GDPW" for="GDPW GDC"></output> <label>Gross Cost per Die</label> = <output name="GDC" for="GDPW GDC"></output> </form><script type="text/javascript">function drawShape(){ // get the canvas element using the DOM var canvas = document.getElementById('mycanvas'); // Make sure we don't execute when canvas isn't supported if (canvas.getContext){ // use getContext to use the canvas for drawing var ctx = canvas.getContext('2d'); //var dieX = 5 //var dieY = 7 var dieX = document.getElementById("dieX").value; var dieY = document.getElementById("dieY").value; var edgeLoss = 5 var waferSize = 200 // Draw Wafer ctx.beginPath(); ctx.arc(220,220,waferSize,0,Math.PI*2,true); // Outer Edge ctx.arc(220,220,(waferSize-edgeLoss),0,Math.PI*2,true); // Good die edge ctx.stroke(); // Draw Dies for (var x = 1; x < 450; x += dieX) { ctx.moveTo(x, 0); ctx.lineTo(x, 440); } for (var y = 1; y < 450; y += dieY) { ctx.moveTo(0, y); ctx.lineTo(440, y); } ctx.strokeStyle = "#a9a9a9"; ctx.stroke(); } else { alert('You need Safari or Firefox 1.5+ to see this demo.'); }}</script></body></html>

It looks like in your loop, x += dieX is actually doing a string operation. First x is "1", then it's "15" and then it's "155".

To solve this, case dieX and dieY to numbers when you get their value from the field.

var dieX = Number(document.getElementById("dieX").value);var dieY = Number(document.getElementById("dieY").value);

You probably should have a button to activate the drawing function.

The only way I could see the numerical values go correctly into the function was to place them on the function call:

For example:

<button onclick="drawShape(8,9)">Draw Wafer</button>

... and the function would have the variable names:

function drawShape(dieX, dieY){

As shown above, the drawing of the wafer in the canvas happens correctly.

However, the values are not extracted correctly inside of the function when using getElementById

var dieX = Number(document.getElementById("dieX").value);var dieY = Number(document.getElementById("dieY").value);

I tried also using the above 2 lines outside of the function to try and send the dieX and dieY vars as follows:

<label>Die Width (mm)</label> <input name="dieX" id="dieX" type="number" min=0 max=70> <label>Die Height (mm)</label> <input name="dieY" id="dieY" type="number" min=0 max=70>

var dieX = Number(document.getElementById("dieX").value); var dieY = Number(document.getElementById("dieY").value);

<button onclick="drawShape(dieX, dieY)">Draw Wafer</button>

function drawShape(dieX, dieY){

... any further ideas? There has to be an easy way to do this but I'm probably not explaining my problem clearly enough. Thanks.

You can't pass the elements as parameters to the function, but you can access them using getElementById().

This function should work:

function drawShape(){  // get the canvas element using the DOM  var canvas = document.getElementById('mycanvas');  // Make sure we don't execute when canvas isn't supported  if (canvas.getContext){    // use getContext to use the canvas for drawing    var ctx = canvas.getContext('2d');    var dieX = Number(document.getElementById("dieX").value);    var dieY = Number(document.getElementById("dieY").value);    var edgeLoss = 5;    var waferSize = 200;    // Draw Wafer    ctx.beginPath();    ctx.arc(220,220,waferSize,0,Math.PI*2,true);  // Outer Edge    ctx.arc(220,220,(waferSize-edgeLoss),0,Math.PI*2,true);  // Good die edge    ctx.stroke();    // Draw Dies    ctx.beginPath(); // Added this line    for (var x = 1; x < 450; x += dieX) {      ctx.moveTo(x, 0);      ctx.lineTo(x, 440);    }    for (var y = 1; y < 450; y += dieY) {      ctx.moveTo(0, y);      ctx.lineTo(440, y);    }    ctx.strokeStyle = "#a9a9a9";    ctx.stroke();  } else {    alert('You need Safari or Firefox 1.5+ to see this demo.');  }}

• 3 weeks later...